Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying Coin - South Indian?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2016  5:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RichieD613 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this coin a while back. I was told it was south indian circa 1100's. I wasn't able to properly identify it, I know it's pretty worn so it might be difficult.

Edit (it has a 10mm diameter)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by RichieD613
02/01/2016 5:23 pm
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RichieD613 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess no one has a clue what this is
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richie, I havent been on here for long, but yours is the only coin/token that ive seen with zero help. I think it is a combo of the coin being so degraded and the lack of experts on old Indian coins (compared to, for example, Roman coins). One thing that strikes me about your coin is the series of somewhat regular invaginations around the edge. Maybe to wrap wire on or ancient test marks?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RichieD613 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at other indian coins from that era and couldn't match it perfectly. I'm not very knowledgeable in ancient coins, I specialize in canadian coins.
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RichieD613 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The closest I've found was this one

can someone please confirm if this matches or not.

Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2016  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richie, if this realy might be 12th century or so, then really this should be in the ancient coins forum rather than here. Maybe those eyes will be of more help. Just a thought...
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2016  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RichieD613 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks dspencier, do you how to more this topic to the ancient section?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
943 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2016  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's too far gone - the lines should be horizontal but beyond that not sure we'll get any further. It may be a corroded post Mughal IPS issue, rather than an ancient one.
Edited by andyg
02/05/2016 6:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2016  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you send a message to the moderator asking to please move this thread to the ancient coins forum?
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7752 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2016  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just click on "Report Post" in the extreme lower right of the OP's first post. A pop-up will appear and there you can request that a topic be moved, if the mods see the request as appropriate the topic will be moved.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2016  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Done thanks! Still learning how to do stuff...
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
22761 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2016  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly can't tell if it's ancient or not. I think it's probably best to leave it here where more people will see it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
954 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2016  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant help identify the coin but I did this:

This kind of highlighted the more prominent area's . The only image I see is on the left pic. on bottom. Looks like a serpent or snake under some sort of structure.
Maybe the ancient coin pro's can make sense of it.The two
bottom pic's are different orientations
Hope it helps
Edited by Canacoins
02/12/2016 11:17 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05