Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1859 Haxby Dp 9

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
713 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Folks,

Wondering if there is a DP # associated with PC59-482?
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look on Dr. Haxby's website at the reverse J7a page (482 is obv 48+ rev. J7a), Dr. Haxby refers to this as RP9 #8 on the die state chart. Since the catalog is still a work in progress, This may not be a final designation for 482. There are many repunched 9's which have no number designation.
Edited by Phil310
03/30/2016 1:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
713 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. I see now!
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact is that there are a number of repunched 9 varieties that are so trivial that they don't really deserve a special number in the #1, 2, etc. system. When I first named DP 9 #1 and #2 and published them in Whitman's Coins of Canada catalog in 1971, I would never have believed that so many would later end up in the standard catalogs!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2016  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When we did the variety section for the 2011 Charlton, we thought that there should be some more "semi-official DP#'s) and got the OK to assign new Charlton #'s to them (all the DP #'s). We talked to Bill Cross and he agreed. Since the DP#1 had been around for decades and is a very unique entity but kinda left/right(L/R) , we started with a DP#2 being essentially right/left (R/L). We took the most offset Low/High (L/H) and named it #3 ... then named the most offset(and hard to find) high/low(H/L) as #4. So that made the first 4 with the four quadrants of H/L, L/H, R/L, and L/R all accounted for. The #5 stands by itself as an oddity, as does the 9/6. The 2011 Charlton, again, was not meant to show ALL the varieties out there for each date .. only examples of what TYPES of varieties were available for each date (and we needed examples from EVERY date).

Since EVERY working die had the final digit (9) handpunched and it took 2-5 whacks of the hammer and punch to get it full, there should be as many R/P'd 9's as there are working reverse dies (200+?). Most are not worth time or effort to name or assign them, since most you need magnifications well over 5X to even see them. At 40X EVERY 1859 will show what some people call "repunching", but that's how they were made from the start. The mintmaster OK'd them for use so they evidently were within tolerance for an everyday manufactured object.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2016  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To clarify what I said before, Okie, when I said I would never have believed that so many repunched 9 varieties would end up in the standard catalogs, that was not in any way a critical statement. In my opinion the expanded listing of the repunched 9s, first seen in the Charlton catalog, was a reflection of the way interest in decimal die varieties was going.

Another example of this is the fact that today some variety collectors consider certain Victorian cents showing clash marks to be important and will pay a premium for them. Decades ago that would have been much less likely. Times and tastes change.
Edited by JHax
04/08/2016 07:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2016  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't think your post was critical. I just wanted to explain some more of the background of how DP# 3-5 and 9/6 showed up. Also why we showed some minor ones for some dates and for others we didn't. We wanted to show each date and the different "types" of varieties that you could find for that date .. then show some of the more dramatic and collectible examples. BTW, the first photos submitted were in color with excellent definition. To publish the book so the back looked like the front, it was made B/W, lightened up and made it more "publishable".
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05