Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Look For On The Jefferson Nickels Series For Hub Doubling.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43326 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When searching through coins, I look at what is know to happen on a series. Then I look for that on every coin I search. I figure if it happen once, it can happen again on a different die. If you don't have access to look directly at doubled dies, look at the different sites to see if you can pick up on what to look for.

For nickels check this site for doubled die attributions for numbers for your coins:
http://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/listings

Obverse doubled dies:
Some have doubling the bust:

Note nose and lip affected.
Doubled eyelid:

Motto hub doubling:

Sorry I don't have any date/LIBERTY hub doubled coins at this time.

Reverse doubled dies:
Here is a very strong one for 1939:

Not the doubling on the lower half of this die. There has not been found another one that has doubling that strong yet. But keep looking, it might happen again.

Doubling on the EPU:
Most of the time you find hub doubling on the reverse on either the EPU area or the USA area on the bottom of the coin. Here are a few examples. It can be strong or minor. But note the areas affected and then look there:

Nice strong doubling on the bottoms, center and tops of the devices.

Note the hub doubling on the tops of these devices.

Another different die:

Another one:

Doubling on AMERICA:
A lot of times on the same coin, the doubling maybe strong in one area and get weaker in different areas.

Note this is the same coin as above, but note the hub doubling is weaker on the lower devices on the coin.

Another example:

Another one:

On some coins you can find hub doubling on the MONTICELLO:

Another one:

On some coins you will find hub doubling on FIVE CENTS:

Each maybe in varying degrees of strength, but usually show in the same locations.

Sometimes you will find hub doubling on the building. Either on the sides or the base:

Even trails can be found on proof nickels:

Keep in mind locations for hub doubling. These areas will be target areas for spotting doubled dies. Regardless of the year, look in these areas. Hope this helps.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/31/2016 5:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's some good schooling! That '39 DDR is a monster.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent pics and information.

Thanks for all your work! I keep learning and learning ....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2066 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coop!
It's too bad we will never again see doubling
like the 1939 DDR, but it's great to learn from.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnDeVito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for taking the time to put that together.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stuff Coop. Why is it necessary to find a match? To prove it's a variety? It still is what it is, isn't it?
The 1960 looks like Trails to me. You can have them in two directions on the same coin, the die scraped the hub twice. Also they can be confined to one area on the coin. I'm guessing but I think that's because of a slight tilt in the set-up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43326 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The point of the thread was not to match, (which is necessary to identify a certain die) but to look for hub doubling in the various areas where it could happen. Many times were are looking to hard at area that are usually not affected. Knowing the areas to look at will help in the search for these doubled dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the informative information. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling you created this thread because of me?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43326 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct. I was busy at the time and wanted to do this then, but I had to wait. Next will be Cents but I don't know when yet. It might have to be in three segments. Wheat, Memorial and Shield cents. Each will show different types of doubling because of the design differences of the reverses.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Neo13x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very educational, thanks Coop
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, you are the best
Pillar of the Community
United States
2042 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2016  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love your timing. Got my first box of nickles from the bank yesterday. Again, Thank you
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43326 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2016  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thread RSC

Added this to make searching easier.
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43326 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CS-L#1-IA search
Richard S. Cooper

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jennamartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have that same coin but it's a 1939
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2017  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jennamartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have that same coin 1939
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05