Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newest Acquisition Maximinus II

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add caesar77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I confess I prefer silver and gold over bronze/copper, however this coin really caught my eye and I find it to be an exceptional coin for this particular Emperor.

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bronze at its best is worthy of serious attention. Glad to see your foray into the "dark side." It is nice indeed.
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was struck yesterday, beautiful coin. Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2458 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent strike, great details and eye appeal. Nice pick up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful in every respect. This coin could not be improved upon. It is really a stunning example. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2508 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OH WOW!! This is one heck of a coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a top 1%'er to me, too.

It's a shame that by the 4th century, the level of realism in coin portraiture had declined so drastically (which is merely an observation that I don't mean in any way to detract from this particular specimen's desirability owing to its spectacular state of preservtion). On the other hand, the artistry exhibited on that reverse is certainly equal to such struck in Rome at the apex of the empire's fortunes.

Great coin that ought to do nothing but appreciate in value.
Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
04/13/2016 12:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1177 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2016  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you have the opportunity to buy such a coin , do it , you will never regret .It is a very nice coin everybody wants to have in its collection .For the portraiture , there is in my opinion no declining , but an evolution in the perception of art . With Maximianus , we are at the end of the 3th century and the artistic expression is no more the same as 100 years earlier .Compare it with the contemporary evolution and try to understand ,but it is often difficult,especially for me. albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2016  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the portraiture, there is in my opinion no declining , but an evolution in the perception of art

I'd still characterize it as a devolving into caricature at best. My point was that by this time there was no longer even a pretense of the effigy being lifelike, but more of a stylized, almost generic, representation.
Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
04/13/2016 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2016  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is contemporary art in the US a degenerated form? Be careful where you ask that (or answer it). Art evolves in keeping with philosophy.

Albert is correct, but it is easy to miss the point. By the time Maximian was throne-worthy, artistic convention had evolved to the point that a realistic portrait image was regarded as too limiting for emblems of state, such as coinage. The design plan by this time wanted the effigy of the emperor to be emblematic. That is, idealized and not literal.

After two centuries of deification, the emperor cult had largely out-paced the old pagan order, throwing the religion into a state of disorder. Small wonder that by 313-325 the mood was right for something completely different; i.e. Christianity. But the artwork, reflecting a change in role, makes the emperor a personification of the state.

For that, you don't want to be too literal. Hence the tendency for one visage to look a lot like another. But for coins, that's what you want, if you are the head of state. The verisimilitude of the imagery which had given a sense of stability and reliability to the coins, and the currency of which they were a part, gives way to the stability of common emblems of a tetrarchy in which authority is shared. Or so they hoped.

Those who prefer realism in art won't be happy with that, but that wasn't our time.
Edited by lrbguy
04/13/2016 6:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2016  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an excellent explanation for the observed trend that I don't believe I've heard or read anyplace else before. I can appreciate that the cult of personality surrounding the emperor might well have lost some of its luster by the time the 4th century rolled around. Thank you for the insight.

I will also concede that the work involved in cutting the obverse die for the coin with which this thread was started doesn't seem like it would've been much less than with the earlier imperial types. But aesthetically they just don't appeal to me as much. There's nothing wrong with Picasso per se, I guess I'm just a "stick in the mud" da Vinci sort.
Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2016  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add caesar77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently acquired this coin as well as an incredible portrait Pius Denarius. So I can see first hand Lucky's observation that the obverse portraits of the coins of the 4th century C.E no longer adhere to the realism of the 1st or 2nd Century ones. I get a feel for how Pius really looked, a man in middle age, care worn from his work as Emperor. Whereas Maximinus II seems to have becomes a well fed brutish and thickset Demi-God. No doubt beginning with Diocletian a new aura was to surround the Emperors and this new era brought many changes including to currency. Personally I prefer the realism of the early Empire,but I will not take from the skill and beauty of these later coins, especially the reverses.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2016  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was this coin originally silvered? I've noticed that silvered coins from the tetrarchy era (even when no silver is left) are sometimes extremely well preserved and very attractive. I've got a few in my collection and they're probably the most striking bronzes I own.

Also, good discussion regarding portraits. I definitely fall into the 'the more realistic the better' camp when it comes to coin design because I like to know what these historical figures looked like, but it's good to be reminded that there isn't necessarily a 'better' or 'worse' when it comes to that.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05