Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

28 Weeks: 28 Centuries Of Coins

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2468 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2016  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Started to get into my favourite area of collection, the early Greek stuff... so quite a few to post now.

Learn More...
United States
15495 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2016  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so quite a few to post now.

I agree--not only do you have a whole bunch to post, but also they are gorgeous coins. Mine are a bit rougher around the edges.

For example, here is a silver coin from approximately 350 BC minted in Sicyon Greece. There is a chimera on the obv and a dove on the rev. This was one of the first coins to enter my collection.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Canada
259 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2016  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Patraos (335-315 BC). AR Tetradrachm
Obv. Laureate youthful head of Apollo facing right.
Rev. Pi;-OA-Rho;-TAUpsilon; , horseman right, spearing fallen enemy.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1177 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2016  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Campania , Neapolis ( Naples):
AR nomos,didrachme
obv: head of Parthenope , left Artemis with 2 torches , ARTEMI(os?) : magistrate ?
rev : bull rights with manshead , Nike flying above , between legs N , in exergue : NEAPOLITWN
20 mm , 7.3 gr , 6 h
Neapolis : 320-275 BC , HNItaly579

Lesbos : Mytilene .
Electron hecte = 1/6 stater
obv : head of Kabeiros , two stars
rev : head of Persephone
12 mm , 2,56 gr , 12 h
Mytilene : 377-326 BC , Bodenstedt99

Mysia : Parion
AR hemidrachme
obv : PA - RI : bull with head at right
rev : gorgoneion
14 mm , 2,25 gr , 6 h
Parion : 4th century , SNGFrance1382

Babylonia : Babylon
AR tetradrachme
obv : Baaltars on throne
rev : lion left
25,5 mm , 16,6 gr ,7 h
Babylon : 331-311 BC , SNGCop261.
albert

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7790 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2016  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greece/Macedonia -- AR drachm, Philipp III, 323-317BC, Sear GCV 6750:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2468 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2016  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more and then back to the previous century...

Edited by DavidUK
10/09/2016 02:05 am
Learn More...
United States
15495 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2016  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins @davidUK! Here is a Achaemenid Siglos minted between 455 and 420 BC. The attribution is Carrad IV A Plate XIII, 33 with countermark #56.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1177 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2016  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for this week 26 :

Bruttium , Kroton :
AR stater
obv : tripod, stork at right,at left : OPQ(koppa) .
rev : incuse tripod
HNItaly2102var , 23 mm , 8,06 gr , 12 h
Kroton 480-430 BC

Attica , Athens .
AR tetradrachme
obv : helmed head of Athene right , archaic eye in profile
rev : owl , left crescent and olive sprig , right : A THeta E .
SNGCop31 , 25 mm , 17,1 gr , 10 h
Athens : 449 - 413 BC

Macedonia : Eion .
AR trihemiobol = 1,5 obol = 1/4 drachm .
obv :goose standing right , head reverted , before theta
rev : incuse
SNGAns, 10 mm , 1,19 gr
Eion : 470-460 BC

Lesbos : Mytilene .
Electron hecte = 1/6 stater .
obv : head of IO with tainia
rev : laureate head of Dionysus .
Bodenstedt77 , 10 mm , 2,55 gr , 12 h
Mytilene : 412-378 BC

Black Sea Region : Istros or Apollonia Pontica .
Arrowhead
32,5 mm / 9 mm , 2,2 gr
SNGuk1100 , 0128 : 600 - 400 BC
albert

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7790 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2016  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Turkey/Paphlagonia/Sinope - AR drachm, 480-450BC (or 490-425BC)-- Sear GCV II 3687:

This is my last submission for this thread -- I don't have any of the early ancient coins. I'll be a spectator from now on.
Learn More...
United States
15495 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2016  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll be a spectator from now on.

I'm pretty sure that the same is true for most of us either this week or next.

Great coin by the way that you just posted. What is the design element on the obv--a flower?
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2468 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2016  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Antwerpen sewed the seed for my Brittium Croton coin which is one of my more recent purchases, I forgot to post.

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1177 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2016  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DavidUK : fantastic stater , congrats
@Spence : I suppose it is a head of an eagle , as Sinope had eagles on his coins.
Let us wait now for the previous ,but next, century . albert
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7790 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2016  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the design element on the obv--a flower?

It's supposed to be an eagle's head, with a dolphin below. I think most of the dolphin is off the flan, due to the irregular shape.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2468 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well again I will bridge the gap... firstly with a Aegina turtle stater, and then with an earlier coin which is a much smaller version and attributed as earlier.

Learn More...
United States
15495 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2016  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@davidUK, thanks for getting us started on the 500s BC.

Here is a uniface Karshapana tentatively attributed from Magadha Janapada India. The bull stamp is most visible through all of the environmental damage. It dates to between 550 and 470 BC.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05