Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hr 5168 - Require The Secretary Of The Treasury To Mint Coins In Recognition Of Christa Mcauliffe

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  1:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Congress - HR 5168 - Require the Secretary of the Treasury to Mint Coins in Recognition of Christa Mcauliffe

Summary 8/31/2016: This bill directs the Department of the Treasury to mint and issue not more than 350,000 $1 silver coins in commemoration of Christa McAuliffe.

The design of the coins shall bear an image of and the name of Christa McAuliffe on the obverse side, and a design on the reverse side that depicts the legacy of McAuliffe as a teacher.

Treasury may issue the coins from January 1-December 31, 2018.

All surcharges received by Treasury from the sale of the coins shall be paid to the FIRST robotics program for the purpose of engaging and inspiring young people, through mentor-based programs, to become leaders in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

05/06/2016: Referred to the House Committee on Financial Services.
Type of Action: Introduction and Referral
Action By: House of Representatives

05/06/2016: Introduced in House
Type of Action: Introduction and Referral
Action By: House of Representatives

05/19/2016: Sponsors Added
Rep. Mica, John L. [R-FL-7]
Rep. Walberg, Tim [R-MI-7]
Rep. Murphy, Patrick [D-FL-18]
Rep. Cardenas, Tony [D-CA-29]
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]
Rep. Benishek, Dan [R-MI-1]

05/26/2016: Sponsors Added
Rep. Van Hollen, Chris [D-MD-8]
Rep. McMorris Rodgers, Cathy [R-WA-5]

06/10/2016: Sponsors Added
Rep. Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [D-NY-25]
Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]
Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]
Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]
Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]

06/21/2016: Sponsors Added
Rep. Honda, Michael M. [D-CA-17]
Rep. Bucshon, Larry [R-IN-8]
Rep. Bishop, Mike [R-MI-8]
Rep. Titus, Dina [D-NV-1]
Rep. Kuster, Ann M. [D-NH-2]
Rep. Ros-Lehtinen, Ileana [R-FL-27]
Rep. Blackburn, Marsha [R-TN-7]
Rep. Olson, Pete [R-TX-22]
Rep. Whitfield, Ed [R-KY-1]
Rep. Griffith, H. Morgan [R-VA-9]
Rep. Walden, Greg [R-OR-2]
Rep. Shimkus, John [R-IL-15]
Rep. Collins, Chris [R-NY-27]
Rep. McKinley, David B. [R-WV-1]
Rep. Meadows, Mark [R-NC-11]
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This interests me. I wonder how far it will get.

2018? She would have been 70 that year.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10096 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder what kind of coin this would be... there's no detail about this yet.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2016  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Warcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a great idea to recognize Christa. Also think they could have done this for all the crew.
It's hard to think this was 30 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2016  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was definitely a very sad tragedy, but I don't think that in and of itself should result in her being on a coin. She wasn't put on the shuttle for her skill set, but rather as a means of promoting the shuttle program. The fact is that if the Challenger had not exploded, she would be long forgotten by history. If a coin series was created to commemorate significant moments in US space history, I can see the entire crew being honored on a coin. I'm sure she was a great person based on what her students/family/friends thought of her, but I just don't see this as a good subject for a commemorative coin.
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2016  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This showed up on all the boards. Basically IMHO it's just a political stunt.

The event is actually past when the coin would be issued (2016 vs 2017); the 2017 and 2018 commemorative programs are spoken for.

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2016  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One might say the same about Kennedy.

If someone did say that about Kennedy, then they'd be wrong in my opinion. Kennedy was murdered precisely because he was the elected president. Christa McAuliffe died in a tragic accident. Kenney would still be well know if he wasn't assassinated. The primary reason that Christa McAuliffe is known (to the extent she is) is because she died tragically. Had she lived, nobody would think about putting her on a coin. Yes, Kennedy did get put on a coin after he was assassinated, but that's only because he was already president and would go down in history regardless. Please understand that I'm not trying to diminish the loss of Christa McAuliffe. It's just not coin worthy in my opinion.
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2016  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for clarifying your thoughts.

In both cases, the coins commemorate tragedy over triumph.

My point was that we would not have a Kennedy half dollar if he had not died tragically. It is possible he would have never been on any coin (circulating or commemorative) other than his Presidential dollar (assuming he had already passed away naturally, being born almost 100 years ago).

We will never know what else he may have done and the same can be said for McAuliffe. Therefore, it is probably a stretch to say she would have been forgotten. We will never know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1811 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely "NO" to the McAuliffe coin as it muddies waters by having TWO different space themed proposals in committee at the same time. May split the votes and cause the 50th Apollo 11 2019 commemorative program to fail to garner enough votes yet again. Basic question is would you rather have a coin commemorating the triumphs of the first man on the moon or the Challenger shuttle disaster? I think the answer for most Americans would be pretty obvious. No slight intended to the shuttle crew, but priorities need to be set straight.
Edited by Bizybackson
05/13/2016 01:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I would love a 2019 set of coins celebrating all of the space program, not just Apollo 11 - what about Apollo 1 & 13, plus the missions that were successful? The whole space shuttle program, Mercury, Gemini, ISS, the planetary fly-bys and satellites. That would give us 10 years of circulating quarters.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4105 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HR 5168 calls for a fairly limited coin program, just 350,000 silver dollars of the standard specs. No gold and no clad half dollar.

The bill calls for a 2018-dated coin which is not currently allowed as there are already two programs slated for 2018 - World War I Veterans and Breast Cancer Awareness. So, if it goes forward, adjustments will have to be made to its language.

Considering the bill is (at least superficially) meant to honor a school teacher and the surcharges collected on the coin are to be paid to the FIRST program (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) which was founded in 1989 "to inspire young people's interest and participation in science and technology," I find it odd that the bill did not include a half dollar. Its lower selling price would seem a perfect fit for a young person's budget and an ideal coin for an educational "Young Collector's Set."

The bill uses Christa McAuliffe's name as the headline, but it seems much more about raising funds for the FIRST Program than anything else. McAuliffe was a social studies teacher, not a science teacher. She didn't have anything to do with the FIRST Program in concept or execution; it was founded by Dean Kamen who is listed on the FIRST site as "a prolific inventor, entrepreneur, and tireless advocate for science and technology. His passion and determination to help young people discover the excitement and rewards of science and technology are the cornerstones of FIRST." The only mention of McAuliffe on the FIRST web site is a press release about the coin - rather telling IMO.

I believe the coin bill is simply trying to capitalize on the name recognition associated with McAuliffe to increase its chances of approval as it does not direct any funds toward supporting the memory/legacy of McAuliffe. I'm not saying the FIRST Program is a bad thing - I'm not! - but trading on the McAuliffe name to raise funds for it just doesn't sit right with me.

Edited by commems
05/13/2016 09:50 am
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would give us 10 years of circulating quarters.
Or one dollar coins.
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
HR 5168 calls for a fairly limited coin program...
Thank you for the breakdown, commems!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20135 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The text of the bill is now available.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10096 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2016  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The bill calls for a 2018-dated coin which is not currently allowed as there are already two programs slated for 2018 - World War I Veterans and Breast Cancer Awareness. So, if it goes forward, adjustments will have to be made to its language.

What would they change to make this not a commemorative? The bill is titled "H.R.5168 - Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Coin Act of 2016".
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05