Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Your Advice On 2014 Proof Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 4,845Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2016  11:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have question about 2014 proof small dollar,so couple months ago I bought three golden dollars, two of them was ok,but third had interesting reverse,i mean all reverse had glare on all parts,and didn't had any frosted details,so what it can be?thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can it be transitional error?revers struck with regular business die?
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say without pictures.
Edited by CRHer
05/09/2016 12:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
4963 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We can't really tell you anything without pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okay maybe this can help

Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are those pics of the same coin? The top one has typical proof like surfaces and the bottom one looks like a business strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no,this is two different coins,obverse is frosted on both ,both have s mint mark
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, then, I'd say you've got something unusual. The bottom coin, even though you used a little different lighting setup, looks like the reverse of a "business strike". Great find! I'm not even sure where you'd go from here except to get some more eyes on it and wait for better advice than I could give. I'd say get it certified.?
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you Biedercoins for ypur input
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you know any experts to send it for?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4963 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd get more input before you spend that much on certification. It's most likely that this isn't much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Numisma,that's what I planned to do,still waiting for more advice
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2016  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tweak800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is another thread about this coin and error.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58856 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2016  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might ask Mike Diamond. The color of the coin need to be a bit more spot on. Also to make sure the mint marks are the same.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17735 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2016  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still wondering if the frosting is applied in two passes. Notice on the regular proof the figures are frosted, but the stripes on the clothing have a different frost than the rest of the figure. Now look at the odd coin. The figures seem to be brilliant like the fields, but the stripes on the clothes are frosted. If the figure are frosted on the firt pass and then the stripes are give an additional frosting on a second pass you would get what is seen on the normal proof. but if it misses the first pass but receives the second pass you would get what you see on the odd coin.

This is all just speculation based on the images posted. Neither the ones posted here or the ones posted in the other thread are good enough for me to say anything for sure. It would be best to see the coins in person.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 4,845Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: