Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 Large Date 10c In Torex Auction

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
300 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  02:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add XWLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw this...

It made me wonder, how long did this get circulated before it was found. Every now and again I still find 1968 and 1969 dimes in my change and they rarely look as beat up as this.

I wonder if this is a recent circ find.
Valued Member
Canada
377 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still looking to find one.At least the reverse on that one isn't scarred up.
Learn More...
Canada
8400 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume it is in an ICCS holder? What did they grade it as?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
300 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XWLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS VF20 scratch.
Valued Member
Canada
257 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregJG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone drew a pizza on the back...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1018 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a very cool story of the hunt for the elusive large date.

http://gosling.ca/1969/1969%20Large...ober1984.pdf

Do'es anyone have the confirmed number to date of these, as I believe this was written some time ago.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "Einstein"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4264 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy is that a terrible example of this variety, maybe 10,000.00 coin
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1504 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back on the article....

I am not sure if Peter Degraaf is still active in the Coin World or not. Peter was very active in Ottawa when I was younger. He traded quite a lot of coins with my aunt and was also around when my grandfather was active in the Coin World. I last heard from him around 10 years ago when I sold him a bulk lot of bullion coins.

Based on my somehwat limited knowledge, I doubt that Peter was sitting on a hoard of 69 large dates and was trying to manage the price up. I suspect he just wanted one.
Valued Member
Canada
300 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2016  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XWLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a great read!
So the one up for sale at torex, is that one of the 3 known? Or is it maybe a 4th that somehow managed to elude every dealer/collector out there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4264 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2016  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many more than 3 or 4 but not 100s, it's another one of those errors that at the price they do sell lacks eye appeal and the wow factor
Edited by john100
05/30/2016 09:27 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1708 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2016  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just like there should be more than 3 or 4 of the 36 dot cents....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4264 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2016  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few old timers truly believe due to who owned at one time all the 36 dots and the friendship with the mint master that they were a custom created. The large date 69 dime only one ms rest are really circulated tends to believe maybe a trial die and a few strikes that joined into regular circulation, maybe a honest mistake.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10524 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2016  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks to have been circulated, the 'scratch' on the obverse I believe comes from a parking meter.

I'll bet there still are a few in circulation yet.
True North
Valued Member
Canada
300 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2016  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XWLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll bet there still are a few in circulation yet.

It's everybody's dream to buy a coffee at Tim's and receive a 69 LD in their change.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4264 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2016  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is little chance with the RCM ARP, and just the fact this variety is so hard to notice. The average person has never heard of a 69 large date
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1708 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2016  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone posted on the forum that he was given one as a child, and decided that a candy bar was more important at the time.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05