Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 Large Date 10c In Torex Auction

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2016  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that it tasted really, really good...........
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7450 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Charlton's " As of April 2010, only sixteen .....have been certified"
They price a VF20 at $12,000
There are many other major varieties with populations of less than 16 that are priced at less than one-tenth of that lofty estimate.
Does that mean the '69 large date is a "money coin" ?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1018 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty DBM for the update on the pop of these, with 16 known ones, it makes one wonder how many are being held quietly at this time. I don't think there's a large number unaccounted for in quiet hands but I feel pretty confident this one will always retain current markets with only upwards trending value.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "Einstein"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6900 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS now has 19 listed in it's Population Report.
Numbers of certified coins are slowly creeping up.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4269 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one due to it's many faults and in this crappy market, will be a true of it's telltale value. As errors goes it has no wow factor other than the price, but market always speaks.
Learn More...
United States
19326 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  09:03 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
will be a true of it's telltale value.

What?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4269 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this coin sells for over 10000.00, this variety is really sought after and collectors are willing to pay for it.
Edited by john100
06/04/2016 09:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
946 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2016  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the 'scratch' on the obverse I believe comes from a parking meter

Shafta, first time I've heard that. My theory is alot more
controversial , having to do with the early separtist movement and the repatriation of our Charter of Rights.
But I am a fan of The X-Files
Parking meters more plausible
"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2016  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The purchaser might be a collector or perhaps an investor. Spending that kind of money, one would certainly hope to get something more visually appealing. I'll take a Gothic crown anytime and have some change left over!
Edited by JHax
06/06/2016 12:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4269 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2016  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had a chance to see the au 50 example a few years ago, still not impress with this error and the price it seems to command.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2016  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to ICCS:
- 20 certified in 2016 (only one in MS)
- 20 in 2015
- 19 in 2014
- 19 in 2013

CCCS doesn't state whether the ones they certified were small or large date...
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2016  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add priorpence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that there are at least a handful more in private hands that may never be sent in for grading, therefore never showing up in the pop reports.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1581 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2016  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to recall the first examples were discovered in circulation in the early 1970s.

Is there any information how these even got produced? Seems crazy to produce the die, strike a few dozens examples, and then abandon it almost immediately but release the strikes into circulation.

Almost like some unannounced treasure hunt.

Edited by dialog_gvf
06/11/2016 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
978 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2016  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugly is ugly at any price. They are quite rare, but it's a buyers market. The really good quality stuff remains tucked away, in my observation.
Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2016  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VWat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I am way behind on this thread but I have had one of these in my possession. I found it in a roll of 69 dimes in the early 90's. It was graded EF40 by ICCS and they took pictures which were on the Charlton coin guide. The attached pictures are digital shots of the ICCS pictures. I left it on consignment with a dealer who had it graded by PCGS and I think they gave it AU55. I eventually got either 12000 or 14000 for it in 1996. I would be interested in knowing what it has sold for since then.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05