Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: Symbol Of Freedom - Independence Hall

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 3,007Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  12:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As we celebrate the 240th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, I thought I'd offer a brief post on the coins that depict the building were it all took place.

One of the most recognizable buildings in the US is Independence Hall in Philadelphia, PA. Often referred to as the birthplace of America, the building was host to some of the most important moments in US history. It bore witness to the debates of the Second Continental Congress as it wrestled over the scope and wording of the Declaration of Independence (as well as the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, the US' first attempt at a "national" constitution). It also hosted the delegates of the 1787 Constitutional Convention and watched over them as they worked to create the US Constitution - a document that continues to serve as the "law of the land" and under which the US continues to operate.

Depictions of Independence Hall on commemorative medals became popular as the US Centennial approached in 1876; numerous privately-struck medals were produced showing either a southern or northern view of the building. The Hall was once again a popular design element on souvenir medals during the years leading up to the US bicentennial in 1976. Shown here is a silver medal struck by the US Mint in 1976 for the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration (ARBA). It features a portrait of Thomas Jefferson on the obverse and a close-up view of Jefferson writing the Declaration of Independence with a quill pen on the reverse; Independence Hall is seen in the background.

To date, Independence Hall has been used as a major design element on two US commemorative coins. Each was issued to mark a milestone anniversary of the approval of the Declaration of Independence: the 1926 gold quarter eagle ($2.50) struck to mark the 150th anniversary (sesquicentennial), and the 1976 half dollar that was released to help celebrate the 200th anniversary (bicentennial).

The gold coin was designed and engraved by John Ray Sinnock, the eighth Chief Engraver of the US Mint. The 1976 half dollar was designed by Seth G Huntington whose design was selected from entries in a national competition; the design was engraved for coining by Frank Gasparro.

Both coins present a reasonably accurate depiction of the southern entrance to Independence Hall (the side on which the 168-foot tall Bell Tower is a prominent feature), though neither is completely accurate in its finer details. For example, Sinnock's version more accurately depicts the Hall as a building that is connected to others as he includes portions of the two arcades that extend from either side of the building to its east and west wings (a view I prefer), but Huntington's design more accurately captures the wooden balustrade that extends between the chimney's at each end of the building.

Both coins are terrific souvenirs of one of the most important and historic sites in the US. I hope you consider one or the other for your collection!

Happy July 4th! (Now it's time for some barbeque!)

Images courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
07/05/2016 09:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7245 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like that Jefferson Medal. Thanks for this post and Happy 4th!
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8799 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting post! Happy 4th July everybody! I visited Independence Hall in 2004.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11032 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2016  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't seen that Jefferson medal before. I have (not surprisingly) many of the half-dollar Bicentennial Kennedy pieces, but I think the gold coin will elude me for a while.

I hope everyone who observes it had a great Independence Day!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 3,007Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05