Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

On Cleaned Coins--Yea Or Strong Nay?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 5,265Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2016  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like toned coins, and saw a really nice Buffalo nickel with kind of shiny bronze toning, and a bit of rainbow at the feather. It had been cleaned (not that I could see it-the dealer pointed it out), but was priced accordingly. I bought it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2016  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this one cleaned. I liked the detail it still had, and the price, so why not?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2016  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AcesKings, I can see along the obverse stars where debris had trapped chemicals. Left in place, they could cause greater deterioration.
By sharing you might educate others as what to look for on a cleaned coin.
Thanks for sharing, and a great coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2016  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I treat cleaned coins as "Junk".
I have no problem with wear on a coin but if it has been cleaned then for me it has No place in my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2016  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By sharing you might educate others as what to look for on a cleaned coin.

Well, as you note, there was still remnants of whatever was used on it to clean it still around the stars.

#2- There are light hairlines in the fields on both obverse and reverse from where they did wipe it. They also appear on Liberty's cheek. To me, not too severe or distracting on this coin, but still there.

#3- For a coin with this much detail there should be luster present at least around the devices if not some in the fields also. As the picture shows, the surfaces are flat with no sign of luster.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2016  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very cool, neat coin too!what would you do to regain some of the "luster"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2016  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't get the luster back once it's gone. If you could, any coins looking like this wouldn't be in "details" holders. Some disreputable people might try whizzing it, which just adds more problems to the coin and make it even less desirable to many collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2016  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently picked up a cleaned coin. It's the second one for the type in my collection. Both are cleaned. Both are the only I've seen come on the market in the last few years too. Its a 1782 4 Reales. I'm hoping the lesson isn't that most 1782 4 Reales were cleaned, but considering its is 234 year old silver, there is a good chance they are.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fsrdavis59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This VAM is kinda hard to find. It's also beautiful in hand. Prior to this coin, I had never bought a details coin. Given it is scarce & I only paid $65.00 it made sense to me. Any thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm probably too new to have an opinion, but if it was a fairly rare coin that I wanted, had eye appeal, and could be had For $65, I wouldn't turn up my nose.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fsrdavis59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are never too new to have an opinion. Nor am I too old to change my opinion regarding detail coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm probably too new to have an opinion,

Sometimes the new opinion is the least biased.
Don't buy or reject because of what others collect.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fsrdavis59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Chute. I've been collecting since the eighties. Speaking for myself, it pays to listen to what a new collector has to say. It has opened up my eyes as well as my thinking. That includes hard to find coins in details grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2016  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got an email last week from PCGS that they have a Restore your coins feature and showed a bu WL half dollar before and after views. I looked good with toning and after w/o toning. I wonder how it would grade after?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 5,265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05