Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Of India - Bull And Horseman Coins And Some Variants

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 25,177Next Topic
Page: of 9
Brazil
29 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2020  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ramgu2005 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello guys, can you help me to ID the correct type of my coin?

Pillar of the Community
India
1889 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear ramgu2005,
Welcome to CCF. Your coin seems to be the typical "Samantadeva" type. On the obv. there is a couchant bull to the left. Nagari script above reads "Samantadeva". On the rev. there is a horseman to the right. The devices seen above and to its right look like this other coin, classified as Samantadeva, at least until otherwise proved.
Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar (and others), I recently picked up this copper bull and horseman that was attributed as Rupachandra Deva (12 mm, 3.3 g). When I compare mine to yours on page 5 of this thread, I'm not completely sure that I agree as so much of the legend is off-flan. It definitely has the style of the Kangra, but I'm less certain of the ruler. I note that the jhula is empty. Also, I can convince myself that the back of the bull might have part of an upside down trisul on it, which suggests Apurvachandra. What is your learned opinion?

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
India
1889 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Spence,
I think you are right. Bull and horseman coins of Kangra have legends "samantadeva" on one side and name of the ruler on the other. As far as I have seen, Rupachandra coins have name of ruler on the horseman side and Apurvachandra issues above the bull. On your coin unfortunately "samantadeva" legend also is off-flan. So it could be either Apurva (if samanta is on horseman side) and Rupachandra if otherwise.
But by the design on the back of the bull, it resembles Apurvachandra. So more possibility is for Apurvachandra. Thanks.
Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok excellent. Thx for providing your opinion on this!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wdpayne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up this coin in a group of coins recently. I think that it is early Islamic of the bull & horseman type. The legend appears to be Arabic. This coin is larger than most of these - a little larger than a US quarter. Any ideas?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5099 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparison of the coin above with Seljuq coins of Kaykhusraw I and Rukn al-din Suleiman. Perhaps echizento or Kushanshah will pin it down further...they are both good at these.

Pillar of the Community
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's a coin of the Seljuqs of Rum, Suleiman Shah as Malik of Toqat, before becoming Sultan. The reverse reads al-malik al-qahir Suleiman Shah bin Qilij Arslan. I don't believe that there is any direct connection between this type and the bull and horseman jitals. However, both the Shahi dynasty of Kabul, which introduced the bull and horseman coins, and the Rum Seljuq dynasty are descended from nomadic Turkic tribes of the Eurasian steppe, to whom horsemanship was of central importance.
Edited by Kushanshah
08/06/2020 05:52 am
United States
38 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wdpayne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!! I'll have to learn some more about this dynasty and its coins.
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 25,177Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05