Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toned Coins: Love Them Or Hate Them?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  11:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Toned coins: Love them or hate them?

Some like them, others hate them. How do you feel? I prefer natural color coins that are bright, toned coins I didn't care for. So when editing images I discover that some are actually an enhancement of the coin. Others are distractions. But here are a few I've found very nice.

Coins of color on some look nice. I like them when they look that way. But some I don't care for. I hope you enjoyed the view.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2032 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  11:28 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, I'm not a fan of toning. I like the "original" look of a coin. That said, I've seen some toned coins that look nice, while I've also seen some toned coins (including some slabbed with an MS-66 or MS-67 designation) that look absolutely horrible. I would never pay a penny over normal BU value for a toned coin, as most toning is usually an effect of poor storage.
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love toned coins and hey...I own that 1906 Canadian woody now thanks to your heads up a while back!
Edited by Slamnbass
08/23/2016 12:31 pm
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunshinesray to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorites are bright and shiny coins. I get excited when looking in rolls and see one!

Every once in awhile I'll see some that are toned that really attract my eye.
I really liked a few of the ones you posted.
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AyoJustin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
love them... I have a few early date Wheat cent toned coins myself
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love to see nice toned coins but I don't like them enough to buy them at higher prices. I do however keep the ones I find in coin rolls/batches. I haven't found any as nice as the ones Coop posted... awesome job on the post Coop!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These kind of suggest my response.

Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sonchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only appreciate toned coins when they're bright and toned evenly or fully. Otherwise, I prefer the original look because like John said, toning is from poor storage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a big fan of the "Woodie" effect and the Indian Head cents. That Canadian Woodie is amazing and I'd have to say that the 1875 Indian Head would be my favorites here. I guess I really like the toning on the older classic coins. They have better and more intricate designs which can really highlight the colors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thanks Coop and other posters.
Next time I will wear my bib to stop me from drooling on my shirt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42146 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pics, coop, and thanks. I think most untoned silver coins before, say, 1900 have probably been dipped at one point or another. Even later series like the Standing Liberty quarters seem to have far more "blast white" examples available than common sense would suggest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1952 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general I am not a fan of toned coins but sometimes I see one, with beautiful/unusual colors, that I can't help but to like it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paola1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love them I have few wheats cent and morgan toned ....your pictures file is amazing ! Thanks for sharing !
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heynow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general, I prefer untoned, but some look good, however, many to not. The real word is "tarnished".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love toned coins! I especially love rainbow toning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! There's a lot of good looking coins there. Thanks for posting them Coop.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05