Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Set Error? 2016 150th Anniversary Of The Transatlantic Cable Proof Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 167 / Views: 17,508Next Topic
Page: of 12

Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  7:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jake222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I just registered to this forum. I bought 2016 special edition silver dollar proof set-150 anniversary of the transatlantic cable... I was suppose to get the silver dollar proof but got this gold proof but is different than original gold proof. Could not find any in Canada mint site. I think I stumbled on a one of a kind..If you have any info it would be appreciated.

The set does not come with gold plated proof dollar. The one that comes with plated dollar is different coin. Look like they plated the proof dollar that comes with the silver proof set. I got it at the post office

Edited by jake222
08/25/2016 07:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2229 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Try to post a picture so we can see what you are referring to please.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Yes, we will need pictures. Sounds interesting...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2587 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where did you buy the set from?

the mint/post office? eBay? other trade site?

if anything other than mint.ca or authorized dealer then legitimacy is always a concern.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2016  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

.......got this gold proof but is different than original gold proof......

What "original gold proof" are you referring to? There is no gold proof in annual proof sets.

A silver dollar is 36mm in diameter. Are you suggesting a 36mm gold coin was placed in the space for the SD in your 2016 Special Edition Proof set by mistake?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2587 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  08:17 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are the 2 limited edition (not annual proof) sets the mint sells, the OPs coin looks like a hybrid of the 2 (both plated and colorized).

I would get the coin checked before your eyes.

Hopefully someone here with more experience in mint sets chimes in. You also might want to have this thread moved to the NCLT section as that is where the collectors of these sets reside (more so than the general forum)

Welcome to the forum

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Edited by Wade
08/25/2016 08:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your edit and photo. Ah, gold-plated.... If the SD is legitimate, it's certainly is very unique.

Both the 50c and 25c in your photo also appear to be Specimen finish, not Proof.

If this is an authentic mismatched and gold-plated SD set, someone at the mint was having a little fun because that'd make it a Extra Special Edition 2016 Proof Set.
Edited by wildflowerAB
08/25/2016 08:50 am
Learn More...
Canada
9842 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  08:58 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all... to CCF!!

Where did you purchase the set from? Directly from the Royal Canadian Mint or coin dealer or online?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
644 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCanuck94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jake222, to the forum! Your coin is definitely unique, you certainly got lucky on this one, I think more pictures would do it justice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6392 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting set - thanks for sharing it with CCF.

If the set was purchased from a source other than the RCM, I would be suspicious of it.

Why? I have not seen any reports/heard any discussions of the Mint striking, or preparing to strike, a fully gold-plated SD at the same time the Transatlantic Cable SDs were being struck. Without such simultaneous production, it seems highly unlikely that a fully gold-plated SD planchet could accidentally find its way into the RCM's production of the colourized Special Edition Transatlantic Cable SD and then move through the full QC process without being detected. (Also, the RCM's last release of a fully gold-plated SD was in 2002). But, anything is possible.

I look forward to learning your source!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like he edited his original post to say he acquired the set at the post office.

I can't really tell from the picture if the dollar is gold plated or just has a gold colour reflecting due to the angle of the picture.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4817 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dollar coins certainly looks goldish compared to the other coins, maybe something cool.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1747 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look at the case, there is a large crack on the top right corner, could have been tampered with? maybe returned to the post office and resold (not sure if the accept return?)
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jake222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your help...The coin in this set I cant find anywhere on Canadian Mint site.Someone said it might be a "hybrid " what exactly does it mean the Queen stamp is not plated like the plated set.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the regular Silver Dollar. I notice a distict difference in the rigging. In the OPs photo it's very white and heavy, without any contrasting colour. Aside from possible gold-plating, what could account for that? I'm assuming the coloured enamel overlay is machine stamped?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2001 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Northerncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin in this set I cant find anywhere on Canadian Mint site.Someone said it might be a "hybrid " what exactly does it mean the Queen stamp is not plated like the plated set.

It means that some how the wrong coin ( right coin for the set) got gold plated and put into that set, if that is indeed the case, that coin will be highly valued since it could possibly be the only one of its kind actually done at the RCM.

Its possible someone plated it and then returned the set to the rcm/postoffice for whatever reason but that wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Edited by Northerncoins
08/25/2016 12:33 pm
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 167 / Views: 17,508Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05