Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Plan On Doing With Your Collection?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,979Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
twoods,
Quote:
So we were very fortunate this spring when my wife gave birth to our first Child.

This in its self is an amazing adventure.
Thinking you are a young couple and me not knowing your financial situation the question is a hard one to answer.

Quote:
So, my question is, what do the members of the forum here plan on doing with their collections down the road?

You are not,' down the road'. Just starting for the bends and curves.
Keep collecting and see how life happens.
Edited by bpoc1
09/14/2016 4:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You are not,' down the road'. Just starting for the bends and curves.
Keep collecting and see how life happens.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't thought about it yet, but my youngest son appears some what interested in coins. He received some silver coins - Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, and a couple of Kennedy halves from his grandmother's estate - and is hanging on to them for now. When we took a look at them together recently, our 2 granddaughters were very interested in looking at them also. This included using the magnifier to look at the mint marks! So there may be hope that one of them may want and appreciate at least part of my collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53443 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with Andrew99 - I have clear instructions in my will to sell through HA if my wife approves, and god knows she will grab for the pen.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17153 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm 17, so I guess I really don't have to worry about anything,

Not quite true, you never know when you might die in an accident. Of course at 17 your parents would inherit whatever you have, but next year once you turn 18 what happens to your possessions is up to you. If you die without a will the state will decide who gets what (and often the states gets a big chunk of it.)

In my case no one in my family has any interest in coins. If they get them they may sellthem off for whatever they can get for them (If they get taken it's no big deal to me, I'll be dead.) I doubt they would do much research, in our family money is nice but it is no big deal. If we have enough for our day to day needs we're satified. Money is not a major fascination for any of us.

Or I may go with another plan I've had. Every coin gets sealed into a plain 2X2 envelope and the envelopes are numbered. Then when the local clubs put on their shows every YN that comes in picks a number and they get that envelope. The coin may only be worth a few cents or it may be worth as much as $8,000. The collection is large enough that the clubs could keep this up for decades. Might encourage attendance and maybe new collectors as well.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started taking my now almost 30 year old son to coin shows when he was in elementary school. He has always had and still does have "his likes" but they are completely different than "my likes". He likes gold pre 33 as well as new and bullion, silver and bullion world coins and I like filling albums. The only like we share in common is Silver Eagles. He has asked me before "Mom, why do you want an entire book of the same coin?" He just doesn't get it. So I will leave him my albums to do with as he wishes but I am in addition to filling my albums.... collecting a fair amount of coins he will like and I'm sure keep a large share of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3555 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My youngest son will probably be interested in them someday as he has a small collection now and likes history. He asked for a confederate note as a Christmas gift last year after taking a Civil War history class in high school last year.
Edited by KenKat
09/14/2016 9:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really good question. I, like several others here, have kids that show little or no interest. Although, I will say my son likes quite a bit of the world notes I have and a few of the reverse proof coins I have - because they look cool. However, my daughter has no interest other than likely to keep a coin or two as a way of remembering me, the other kids have zero interest. And the wife...well what can I say other than she tolerates my desire to collect coin, some currency, and many reference books regarding numismatics. So I have given direction which few items will go to the kids and the rest goes to an online auction house.
All that said, I really liked the idea Conder101 had regarding giving to the local coin club.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
09/14/2016 9:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hozer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm up for adoption.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2093 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I told my wife to let my two young kids pick out a few of my coins to remember me by. Then they could sell the rest and plan one heck of a vacation to go on. I really won't care what they do with the collection.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sort of up there in age. No one to leave my STUFF to. Coin collection, old cars, guns, knives, etc. Only one Son and he has no interest in anything of mine. One Grand Daughter and she too could care less of my STUFF. Guess is will all just get dumped or sold.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4915 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just going to throw this out here, but if anyone who's getting up in age wants to put me in their will, send me a PM....I'd be more than happy to make sure your collection goes into the right hands and not sold at auction for cheap or brought to the bank and/or pawn shop for a little over face value.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17153 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dreew, I've considered that, leaving the collection to a young but unrelated coin enthusiast, but there can be a problem with that as well. What does a young novice collector do with a 50 year plus collection? He can admire it, but the chances are he won't be able to add to it other than adding collections or series that aren't already in it. Anything in the core collection that would most likely be affordable to him will already be there. And what isn't there most likely will be out of their price range.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
South Africa
331 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teslacoil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread made me think so just to be sure I asked all my kids if any of then want my collection they are all teenagers and low and behold no one wanted it.......so it just confirms that they will be sold and the money will be given to a good cause.
What is wrong with the kids today?!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, my plan is to take them all with me when I die...

If that doesn't work, the plan is to leave them all to my son, with whom I shared my love of coin collecting.

Of course, if he grows up to be an ingrate who refuses to take care of his parents when they get old, I'll probably end up selling them all to fund my retirement years.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,979Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05