Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Feeder Finger Damage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,057Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  6:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jeremy123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a 1995 P Dime from my change today at Walgreens and noticed on the reverse its got scratches that go behind all the lettering. The scrapes cross through other scrapes going in different directions. In a way, they form a diamond with the inner fields without scrapes. I attempted to look it up and kept coming back to the Feeder Finger and die scrapes. I took a load of photos since this is my first one that looks like this. Tell me what you think

Thanks,
Jeremy

Note: The last photo shows the shape in which they form (red lines) while leaving the center (green circle)untouched. If you want more photos feel free to ask and I will try to take better photos.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heavy die polishing.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like wire brush marks.

Not an error coin.

Good pics.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeremy123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So your saying the die was wire brushed? It's crazy how it goes in four different directions.
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jake the Dog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chances are there was a die clash which would have left an outline of Roosevelts head. They would have had to wire brush/polish the entire circumference if the clash was strong enough.

Below is a link to a clashed Roosevelt reverse. I found years ago.

http://goccf.com/t/230006
Pillar of the Community
United States
3460 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a great find Jake!
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeremy123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So when they found these clashes being made they would scrub them off with a wire brush and polish it? Interesting, I would never have known that, thanks for the info Jake and nice find. You'd think someone at the mint would attempt to polish this die out again to get rid of all those scrapes before making more dimes. Its really cool how the scrapes on the outside fields went into four directions leaving the center fields all smooth (diamond shape. It was a "eureka" moment for me and I don't get them often.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3460 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They don't always leave deep scratches like that. Sometimes they can even polish away details from the die's surface and the coins minted with that die will be missing some of the original design's details.
A great example of this is the 1922 plain Lincoln cent. Die Pair #2 is suspected of having the D mint mark polished away after a die clash. The reverse die was replaced with a new one but the obverse was just polished. That's why the reverse of this coin has a sharp strike but the obverse appears worn, even in better grades.
Edited by cwb
09/15/2016 12:05 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45084 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The story I heard was that they were give just a few dies that year and they had to keep polishing them as they were not getting more. So the obverse dies suffered.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeremy123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information. Well I plan on keeping it as a future reference in case I run into more. I highly doubt I will find another like this one with die scrapes in multiple directions, overlapping each other with a smooth center. Pretty cool, it reminds of reading Coincents 2016P Rosie Feeder Finger/Die Scrapes thread but his are horizontal and in the center on the reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16643 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are seeing is something the mint called "stoning" of the dies. Sometimes to remove clashmarks they would use an emory stick with coarse abrasives to scour out the marks. Now ideally this would be followed with finer abrasives and eventually polishing with a circular lap to remove all the scratches left by the coarse abrasives. (Polishing out heavy clashmarks with the fine polishing lap would that forever.) Well that didn't always happen, maybe they forgot or were pressed for production and the coarsely abraded dies were put back into service. We call all of these marks coarse, fine, or almost invisible, die polish lines. Although in the early stages they really aren't "polishing".
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,057Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05