Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Big Project

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,442Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Theo1123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't really post on here because I don't have much to post but I think I've found something that could be a pretty decent thread. I saw this photo online awhile back and decided I wanted to put together the set and have a nice display of all the various coin sizes. My goal is to keep all the coins at around the AU-58 grade range, not being concerned with rarity just price and attractiveness. I'm going to change a few of the coin types but I'm hoping to keep all the coins under $500 except for the gold, obviously.

The first nice coin I found and am thinking about is this capped bust half dime. it's AU-58 and I wanted to get your opinions. Thanks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11166029993...RK:MEBIDX:IT
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should put some of the California fractional stuff on there, if you want. Have you seen how small those things are?

Cool project, by the way
Edited by NickelCollector
11/20/2016 6:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool project! Just curious, what made you choose those particular coins for those that have multiple coin choices in a size? For ex. a Peace over a Morgan?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is the Stella?
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the idea!

Have you thought about how you want to display them? Are you willing to crack them out of their cases?

Good luck with the project! Keep us posted on your progress.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3179 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where is the Stella?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The OP is actually planning to buy those, you know.

(I was wondering where is the $3 gold, however. Or the different $1 gold types. And weren't some early Bust types significantly larger than their later counterparts?)
Edited by january1may
11/20/2016 7:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The capped bust H10 is a beauty, although you can often get that type at that grade for about $100 less.

Fun idea. I do hope you intend to keep your coins slabbed if you buy them that way.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Theo1123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies! I actually am going to change out a few of the designs so they wont all be the same as in the pic. I was also wondering where the $3 gold was too, but not to worry as I plan on including that. Although I did think about it, I'm not planning on putting in the different sizes of quarters or halves because I don't want to break the bank hahaha. But maybe in the future that will an option...
The display part is going to be tricky but I want something that makes them easy to see. Unfortunately, I do want to crack them out even though I know it will hurt the resale value. I really want these coins to be ones I can pass down so I'm not too much worried about that.
And then there's the stella.... HAHAHAHAHA
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3179 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although I did think about it, I'm not planning on putting in the different sizes of quarters or halves because I don't want to break the bank hahaha. But maybe in the future that will an option...
I was thinking more about the dimes (apparently a lot of assorted sizes existed before standartization in 1837).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a very interesting idea. I hope you keep us
updated on your progress. Even though project like this
one can sometimes take years to complete.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with to
holder/display the set.

A while back I was playing around with the same idea,
but I always have to many projects going. At the grades
you are thinking it would be a very impressive set.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea. Maybe some type of acrylic holder would work well for displaying the coins. Acrylic is rather easy to work with.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You really might want to consider a type set. Similar idea, but with each major "kind" of each denomination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theo I really like that idea! Very cool project
Please keep us updated with pics as you make your way along.

GR58 awesome pic! As always
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Theo1123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do want to do a type set but my passion is proof coins and that would take wayyyyy too much money so I wanted something that I could slowly work on for a few years and maybe someday start an intensive type set
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2016  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a really cool idea Theo1123! It would make for an awesome display, good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2536 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2016  10:31 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool project.
I would love to see that in a display. It would be a fun project to try and create that display DIY.
Something like what Capitol makes, but customized....
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05