Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Attempt At Acetone Cleaning - 2 Large Cents. How Did I Do?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,183Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  1:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was my first attempt at using acetone. Tried on a couple of low cost Large Cents. The pics of the Before are a little dark. How did I do?

I did not post the reverse as the pics were dark and the difference was not that dramatic.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Collecting coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34182 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the after pics.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definite improvement. How long did you soak them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better!
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definite improvement. How long did you soak them?

They soaked for about 45mins. Mostly because I was at work(where I have acetone available) and was doing other things.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13600 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice that virtually all that white stuff came off after the rinse , what was that stuff ? The after coins look better . But the bust on the 43 looks cleaned after the Acetone ,which is not supposed to happen .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2890 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these look like candidates for an olive oil soaking..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like the after pictures better. It is interesting that after soaking
the details of the coin show better.

Acetone will help remove organic substance on a coin. If there is a cleaned
coin under the organic substance it will show.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good results for a first try. No harm done to the coins, either.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10578 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that '46 is a huge improvement. Who knew those details were under there somewhere!
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Edited by spruett001
12/05/2016 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great job Juliano.

Nice improvements! I haven't tried this myself but from the looks of your after pictures I need to.
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was quite (pleasantly)surprised at the detail on the '46. I have some Verdis-Care coming and we'll see how that does on some Large Cents with Verdigris. The reverse of the '43 has some verdigris. I will do a better job on pics
Pillar of the Community
United States
7696 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish the lighting had been the same but they do look improved.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Learn More...
United States
87578 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2016  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, they both look much better!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2016  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the first post I've seen with before and after photos. The after does look much more appealing. But it seems like you're trying to walk the delicate line between cleaning a coin properly or risk having the coin judged as improperly cleaned. Both of which, I'm still struggling to gain command of. I still don't understand what distinguished the difference in the eyes of TPG's.

just thinking out-lound
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,183Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05