Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 National Park Uncirculated Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2016  10:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My spouse just got this as a Christmas bonus from her supervisor. Anything special to look for (varieties, errors) or is it just a box and a card and a box and a box and a card and a fancy box and a coin holder and $15 worth of silver, for $49.95?

It is a pretty coin.

Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2016  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldephriam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is another way to look at it, $15.00 worth of silver and $34.95 worth of genuine government packaging. Otherwise I think you summed it up pretty well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2016  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter says "Is that a tree and a horse?".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2016  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While there are no known errors or varieties of this coin, this doesn't diminish the collectability of the piece.

You now own, at no cost to you, a US commemorative silver dollar issued to help raise funds to support the work of the National Parks Service - a very worthwhile cause. To help ensure that the coin remains in pristine condition, it comes in protective packaging supplied by the US Mint.

What's to complain about? To me, it seems like nothing but a win for you!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10549 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  12:29 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would rather have that as a bonus than the $50 cash. The cash will only devalue and this could become more valuable.

I love your description of the packaging coupled with the photo!
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10248 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed - I would take this as a gift any day!

Nice score!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't look a gift bison in the mouth. Or a gift warthog, or whatever it is. Besides, it isn't even mine. Although she did say "put it with your coin stuff". Does that mean it's mine now?

Quote:
The cash will only devalue and this could become more valuable
The only other coin I have with such elaborate governmental packaging is a 1971S Eisenhower proof brown box dollar, which I myself purchased in 1971 for $10, and which I could buy right now (after 45 years) on eBay for $8 (plus shipping).

Sorry, I'm just being snarky. It really is a nice coin for somebody close to you to get for free.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I didn't really care for the coin, but I do care about the National Park System so I bought one of these anyway. Every little bit counts and it all adds up.

- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other ¢5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, because I actually got a $50 holiday bonus in cash. If I am being honest, I like what your wife got better.
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would take the 50 dollars cash. With a new baby on the way next month, I'd be sure to spend it before it devalued.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to not get my folks at work (9 of them) the usually gift card and bought them all an American Silver Eagle. Most appreciated it and understood but a few of them looked a little confused. I can imagine they were thinking "a dollar, how nice" . I made sure I explained it was more valuable than a dollar.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool, KurryKid. My wife was in the "confused" camp. Sure, she knows I collect coins, but her first question when she got home was "How much do these cost?". She also got the clad half dollar, by the way. Not as elaborately packaged. $24.95. So her boss popped for about $75 for each subordinate I guess, which is nice, and I agree it's awesome to support the national parks. I could sense a little disappointment from the wife though - last year she got a $100 gift card. She'd rather have something to spend rather than look at I guess. Too practical.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose we all know what makes us happy.

Very nice that she got the half dollar, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2016  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice gift for collectors but I can see why a non collector would prefer a gift card.

I would have loved a nice commemorative coin for Christmas.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05