Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 Seated Liberty Quarter...identification?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2017  11:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, I came across the below from 302179478713

I was wondering if the quarter on the right could be identified. There appears to be a bit of a diagonal mark coming towards the 3, but it looks to be way too low to be the back tip of an arrow. I'm unsure about this one. It looks like if there were an arrow, it would be quite obvious, despite the wear

Original obverse pic
Edited by 0xDA71D
01/04/2017 11:29 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2017  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not quite sure about your question, but the 1853 quarter has to be the arrows and rays variety. There were 1853 quarters without arrows and rays, but none with rays and without arrows. The piece in question is just worn to the point that the arrows are gone. That is a bit unusual in that the reverse usually shows more wear than the obverse but the alternative explanation is that this is a previously unknown "no arrows, with rays" variety. Pretty darn unlikely!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2017  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. You are showing an 1856 and an 1853.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1343 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2017  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1853 Arrows & Rays.
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46101 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2017  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jacobler is spot on.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05