Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kashmiri Rulers From The 9th And 10th Centuries

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  11:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's my group of 4 different Kashmiri rulers from the 9th and 10th centuries that I've been collecting.And a little bit of history...I hope you enjoy.

These are copper coins known as Kaserah or Punchshi
The diffference between the rulers are their names in Nagari to the left and right of the seated goddess Laksmi...I think this is the obverse?
On the reverse the Queen or King standing.

Yashaskara dynasty

Didda Rani 958-1003- Born in 924? to king Simharaja of Lohara.A beautiful woman who even when she was young and could walk was carried everywhere by a female called Valga.The exact reason for this is unclear but records show she was known as Charanhina(footless).
She became one of the most ruthless rulers of Kashmir. Being clever and manipulative she ruled for more than 40 years,firstly as regent for her son,whom some say she killed,and then as sole ruler until her death at the age of 79 in 1003.

Lohara dynasty

Samgramaraja 1003-1028 - There is a quaint story as to how Samgrama became king....When Queen Didda Rani wished to choose an heir she challenged all the young males from her family to pick up the most pieces of fruit they could from a pile in front of them.The boys fought and wrestled for the fruit, but her brother's son, Samgrama had the most without engaging in any fighting. He had encited the others to fight while he calmly gathered the fruit for himself. The queen was so impressed she named him as her heir.....(In light of what's happened recently maybe modern countries should adopt this system of election)
He was a weak king as the real power was in the hands of Tunga the prime minister who was also the lover of his aunt Queen Didda Rani. In 1014 Samgrama sent Tunga to help in the war against Sultan Mahmud but eventually Tunga was defeated, this defeat must have undermined Tunga's prestige as Samgrama had him murdered.

Ananta 1028-1076 - Still looking for one.

Kalasa 1076-1089 - His father Ananta abdicated due to Suryamati's (his mother's) blind affection for their son. Kalasa proved disloyal to his parents and his frustrated father committed suicide. His mother threw herself on his funeral pyre.
Kalasa spent the rest of his life conquering and raiding neighbouring kingdoms such as Urasa and Abhaya. Kalasa had two sons Utkarsha and Harsha. During Kalasa's final days Harsha attempted a rebellion which was surpressed and Harsha imprisoned. On Kalasa's death his other son Utkarsha became king...

Harsha 1089-1101 - Following his father's death Harsha remained imprisoned until a short time later another rebellion resulted in him escaping and seizing control of the throne...Utharsha committed suicide.
Harsha had a contrasting character, he restored the lost glory of kashmir with the clever use of
administration, education and culture but his greed and extravagance, tax increases and lavish temple construction eventually angered the people. With the treasury exhausted a revolt broke out led by two brothers Sussala and Ucchala. In 1101 Harsha was defeated and killed.

Sussala 1112-1120 - To be continued

Any comments appreciated

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
4261 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool set of coins there, Paul, and interesting bios. Always nice to see less represented series posted here. Thanks for sharing. By the way, I've also seen the obverse deity listed as Ardoxsho. I don't know if this is another name for Lakshmi or whether there are simply different interpretations of who the seated deity on these coins might be.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes from what I have read Ardoxsho represents abundance and royal fortune, as do Greek Tyche and Roman Fortuna.
Ardoxsho is an eastern Iranian epithet later incorporated into Brahmanism, depicted by the Guptas on their coins as Lahksmi who embodies the same qualities.

sources:
1 The Roots of Tantra
edited by Katherine Anne Harper, Robert L. Brown pg 42
2 Indian Sculpture: Circa 500 B.C.-A.D. 700 pg 79
By Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Pratapaditya Pal

Saludos Paul
Learn More...
United States
22398 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's nice to see this type posted here I find this series along with Chola series from Ceylon very interesting and a challenge to ID at times. Very nice coins and excellent write up. Thanks for posting them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@palouche, great write-up and super coins.

With regard to Diddi Rani's ruthlessness, one reference has her eliminating grandchildren as well.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah, these are cool. I have this one, similar but a slight different style. I really didn't know anything about this when I bought this, just thought it looked neat.

Jaga Deva, Kashmir Region AE stater, 18mm, 6g, 9h; Late 11th - Mid 12th Centuries.
Obv.: Ja-Ga-De in Nagari script; King Jaga Deva facing. Rev.: Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated, enthroned with lotus stem, wearing earrings.

Nice thick coin also, here pictured by a Sunga cast square coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4261 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example, Chris. Always good to see you back in town.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Bob, I just sent you an email by the way!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2017  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Chris

I'm pretty sure yours is a Jaga Deva 1199-1213 AD from the dynasty of Vuppadeva.MNISW 195-196

These are quite difficult coins to find.

Thanks for sharing

Paul

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2017  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys,
I've taken a break from Roman coins for a while and returned to my Indian, Kashmir and Ceylon sets!

Here are my latest additions of 9th 10th and 11th century Kashmir rulers..I hasten to add lots of help from drnsreedhar on the Nagari script..writing and reading

First a nicely detailed Kshemagupta Kaserah (King and husband of Didda Rani) ...

<b> Kshemagupta AD 950-958 </b>

Son and successor of Parvagupta, Kshemagupta was pleasure-loving and dissolute. He was addicted to women, gambling, and especially hunting.In his search for political legitimacy for his rule he offered to marry the disabled and not-so-young Didda, who had the qualification of being the granddaughter of Bhimadeva, Shahi ruler of Kabul.After they accepted, the wedding took place in 950 CE and Didda came to beautiful Shrinagara in Kashmir. Surprisingly, her husband was soon so obviously under her spell that the populace started calling him "Diddakshema". The infatuated Kshemagupta took the rare step of minting coins with "Di(dda) Kshemagupta Deva" inscribed on them.Ksemagupta's union with Didda brought Kashmir under the rule of the Lohara family which continued to rule Kashmir until the early 14th century.In approx 952 Didda gave birth to a son, Abhimanyu.In 958, Kshemagupta contracted a violent fever during one of his beloved jackal hunts. He was taken to the Kshemamatha in Varahamula (Baramulla) and died there.Didda immediately put her son into hiding, for his safety.Alone with no husband fearing for her life and that of her son , she made her first stand by refusing to commit sati on her husbands pyre. After this her son was crowned and she became his regent.................

Secondly <b>Abhimanyu AD 958-972</b>..Son of Kshemagupta and Didda Rani

The infant son of Kshema Gupta,he ruled for fourteen years under Didda as regent but then was killed by Didda.

Thirdly <b>Partha Varman 907-923 AD</b> (Quite difficult to find with full legend)

Partha Varman (907-923 AD)
Partha made queen Sugandha Rani abdicate in favour of him when he was only 10 years old, but 10 years later Sugandha rebelled against him she lost and was put to death.
Partha Verman was dethroned in A.D. 920, and was succeeded by his father, Nirjita Vermma, a cripple, who was put to death at the end of a year, and the throne given to his infant son, Chakra Verman.

Here's the set so far

Saludos Paul
Learn More...
United States
22398 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2017  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent addition to your set. This is a very interesting series of coins that I want to explore more in the future. At the moment I have only two coins from this series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4261 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2017  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, you're becoming quite the authority on this series. Congratulations on the new acquisitions. Great looking set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments.

@ echizento....Ron I'd love to see your 2 coins if you have time and photos?

Quote:
Paul, you're becoming quite the authority on this series.

Thanks! I'm really interested in this series and history, and with a lot of help from drnreader am now able to read a lot of the Nagari script and write it aswell..you can see this work on the world coins forum on drnreaders post of Kashmir coins if your interested.

I have a couple more coins on their way to me and will post them when they arrive

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a new one Ananta deva...HOLE FILLED!

<b>Ananta (AD. 1028 - 1076)</b>
After the death of Samgrama his eldest son Hari Raja took the title but died after a reign of only 22 days.And so his younger brother Ananta ascended to the throne.
The period of rule by Ananta was characterised by royal profligacy; he accumulated debts so large that it was necessary to sell the royal diadem,but his wealthy wife queen Surajmati intervened and the situation was improved. She was able to settle the debts incurred by her husband by use of her own resources and she also oversaw the appointment of ministers with the ability to stabilise the government.In 1063, she forced Ananta to abdicate in favour of their son, Kalasa. This was probably in order to preserve the dynasty but the strategy proved not to be successful because of Kalasa's own unsuitability. It was then arranged that Ananta was effective king even though his son held the title.This caused great friction between father and son until in 1076 Ananta overcome with rage, despair, and the wickedness of his wife comitted suicide.

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
4261 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the latest acquisition, Paul. Always nice to fill a hole in a collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob !....Yes I was really happy when I managed to pick this one up.

I've been over bid on this king a few times and as I'm on such a tight budget,
was wondering if I'd ever get him

Still have a couple of different rulers on their way to me and will post them when they arrive even though there doesn't seem to be that much interest in this series.

Please feel free to post any coins you have of this series, as every coin is so individual and can reveal different aspects not seen on other coins.

Thanks saludos Paul
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05