Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ever Run Into A Fellow Numismatist In "The Wild?"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,904Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2017  9:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jillabean to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had a fun little encounter tonight. I was at the grocery store, bought some items, and got some change. Well, the cashier (high school teen I would guess) handed me my change and joked that I was going to get the cool coin. Turned out he gave me a 1955 Wheat penny! It wasn't very remarkable, kind of worn and nothing special about it... other than the thrill of getting an old coin.

He lamented to me that it has been in his register all evening and he wanted to keep it because he had, "kind of a collection." He added he couldn't take it because he didn't have any cash on him and he couldn't take money from the register, even if it was one cent.

I took a good look at it just to admire it and gave it to him. I said, "well, it's mine now and I want to give it to you." He was pretty thrilled and thanked me. I felt good about it too.

LOL, I am just hoping I didn't give away some kind of rare cent coin (I don't know much about them to be honest).

Anyway, I thought that would be a fun story to share, but I also wonder if any of you also had similar experiences running into fellow collectors outside the world of shows and clubs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2017  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1955 doubled die was very generous.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2017  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jillabean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What did I do!

LOL.

You almost got me. I googled it. It wasn't a double die. It was just a very worn 1955-D. I took a good look at it before I gave it to him.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1103 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2017  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool I bet you made his day! Maybe you will further spark his interest in old coins!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice of you jillabean
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool move. You get today's "awesome!" award!
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outside of shows and coin shops, I have never met any kind of collector.
Or, at the very least, nobody has ever even suggested that they collected anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was interviewing for a job a few years back in Detroit with a lot of different people and we met before going to dinner at one of their homes. We talked about hobbies and the host heard I am a coin collector. It turns out he was a collector of Seated halves and a member of the LSCC and showed me a Dansco album with high grade Seated halves in it.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a similar occurrence with a teen girl cashier at petco.. she was really interested in the old pennies in the change she was giving me, I put them on the counter for her... this was a few years ago. I thiought about going back and paying with some Indian cents and Buffalo nickels to see her reaction, but I never got around to it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14869 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jillabean , Good for you .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That. Was. Awesome!

My faith in humanity is partially restored.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very thoughtful jillabean.
I've done similar things, but I have to be careful because sometimes an employee can get fired for taking anything from a customer. Just ask first.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done

I have never really met a serious collector outside of a coin show or shop. I am surprised to find out how many people have a small (under $100 worth) collection of wheat cents, Indian Head cents, and foreign coins. I was also shocked to spot a handful of coin albums on my wife's grandparents' bookshelf.

I never had the chance to talk to him before he passed away, but there was a member of my father in law's church who had an impressive assortment of US classic silver; Probably 30-40 pounds, mostly of Mercury dimes and Morgan dollars. From the looks of it, he at least halfway attempted to piece together a few sets before giving up and switching to stacking lower value coins. Nobody had any idea he had nearly $10,000 worth of coins in a box in his closet.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another collector, yes (usually novice), a fellow numismatist, no.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18130 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have met only three other CCF members.
I met two American CCF members in Sydney at coin shows, who are studying in Australian universities.

One other member who is Australian. He lives 4,000 kilometres to the west of me, and is the third highest poster in the CCF.
He has exceptional skills in the area of modern coin grading.
Besides, he is a damn' good bloke !

Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2017  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The person who sat at the table before me left two baby dollars as a tip, so I wondered about their motive. That is probably as close as I have come in a while.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,904Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05