Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cheapest counterfeited coins  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
505 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2017  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gwyde to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1928, Italy issued a silver 20 Lire coin commemorating the end of WW-I in 1918 and featuring the King Vittorio-Emmanuele III on the obverse, wearing a helmet:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16857.html

A fantasy monetary token, using the same reverse, but with B. Mussolini on the obverse (dated 1943 in Roman numerals) was minted long after WW-II (during the 1970's)
https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/to...3-mussolini#

The token is silver plated copper; it is widespread and used to be popular among members of the Neo-fascist party. Note that, when the 20 L token was issued, a real 20 Lire coin was but a small brass coin, worth about 2 US cents.

Reverse

Inscription says:
'Rather live a day as lion than a century as a sheep'.
The column has the dates '1918' and '1928' in Roman numerals (as has the original).

Obverse
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2017  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake German Empire 1 mark coins. Melt value currently under $3.

Apparently, the 'full set' only consists of 8 dates at the moment (with 6 mintmarks per date).

But nobody told the Chinese that a 1916-A mark (and a few others) did not actually exist.

Anyway, that's it, I need to find a different hobby
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting this for us all to see. A few years ago I was told that nobody would waste resources counterfeiting a common collector coin, but here are several examples of the Chinese doing just that. The sad thing is that if this continues and the fakes because too difficult to tell apart from the authentic coins for the common coin collector, it will kill the business and the hobby. Nothing is rare and valuable if there is a lot of them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1888 US counterfeit
One dollar.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit 1926 République Française .
Indochine Française

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 Washington clad quarter
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1743 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1967 Washington clad quarter

Years ago, I worked in the office at a grocery store where we routinely got in boxes of plastic wrapped Brinks rolls. I used to "surgically" remove the silver coins, replace and tape the slit. I encountered a few counterfeit dimes and quarters doing this dated in the 1980's that were made of lead (or similar soft metal) that could be bent by hand. Still have them around here someplace.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2513 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those pfennigs and halfpennies are sold by the kilo here... what's the point of faking those?

UltraRant, they aren't aimed at your market, but point taken.

Well, if you don't work on a die for something, you can go home for the rest of the day.

And:

Stamp something, so as to look busy. There are some unused dies over there.

Similar scenarios can abound, but utility often has nothing to do with production. Especially in China.

I would also collect chocolate coins, except for that one problem.

ANA # 3189614
Edited by Parklane64
03/12/2018 10:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3360 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never understood why Chinese cash coins, even relatively modern ones (Ch'ing dynasty), which were made by the billions and litter coin shops' "bargain" bins. have been reproduced.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1862 USA.
One dollar.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1911 British silver trade dollar coin.
(Counterfeit coin)

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05