Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Buy Coins From Great Southern Coin

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
944 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdiablo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same coin,there is a thread 7 pages long on CT about this. I zoomed in on the trueviews and posted the pictures on Ct. I DO NOT see the identifying marks on this coin. Die scratches in front of Abes nose,die scratch about the letter B in Liberty and the reverse V notch on the reverse after the word UNUM is missing. Just a really nice business strike IMO and PCGS messed up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS has recalled the coin as they posted the following to the owner on both CT and PCGS boards:

Mr. Larry Pelf: PCGS wants the coin back for evaluation.

Contact Alma Salgado at PCGS:

Good Afternoon,

This coin will need to come back to be reviewed.
Please provide the following information:

Full Name
Shipping Address
Phone Number

I will be sending you step-by-step instructions on how to return this coin to PCGS to have the designation reviewed, I will also provide you with a pre-completed FedEx label to ship the coin back to PCGS for review under our account. This will all be free of charge and we will try to have these corrected and returned as quickly as possible.

Thank you,

Alma (Stephanie) Salgado

Customer Service Representative p 800.447.8848 | f 949.567.1253 | PCGS.com
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2017  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After discussion with PCGS they terminated the on-line cert.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9232 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2017  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And the owner has now relegated himself to the fact that it's a labeling error. What actually happens to the errant slab is still in doubt. I hope the owner does the right thing.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2017  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoever bought this did a foolish thing.

It is not wise to announce such things. It invites trouble. Do you think PCGS would have asked for the coin back for review if this didn't make such a big splash?

As to the answer of the original question "How To Buy From Great Southern Coin"

The answer, in a word, is Carefully. They even say so in their listings. They buy heavily and sell quickly. Much of the raw stuff they sell on eBay is how they get it, it may or may not be a problem coin, they do not spend much time worrying about it.

There is a Buffalo nickel expert on the PCGS forum that has at least twice bought a raw nickel as a business strike from GSC that was graded as proof.

If it would have been me I would have sent it to Heritage or Stacks and maybe or maybe not told anyone about it when the check had cleared.

But that's just me
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After discussion with PCGS they terminated the on-line cert.

Nice kill. Hopefully the owner does the right thing and returns it for re-holdering.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05