Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Think About This Seller's Ebay Listings - Good Strategy?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3710 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2017  11:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What Do You Think About This Seller's eBay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dah-grego/m...046732.m1684

Good Strategy or leaving money on the table by not selling individually?

Certainly looks like this is a non coin collector hastily disposing a large collection of classic U.S. coins or is that just what they want us to think?

Would like to get your informed opinions.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a smart strategy from a marketing standpoint. How cool would it be for a newbie to buy a coin lot with that type of variety? As to whether or not money is lost, only the seller knows. They could be stolen coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8306 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  01:01 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suspicion is a seller sneaking in problem coins with other coins to get rid of them, maybe even some fakes. Seeing old slab labels with graffiti, scratched, holed, plugged, whizzed, "last digit in date removed", etc. pretty much confirms this. He is hoping people will assume that if most of the other coins are problem-free, the "big ticket" coin will also be problem-free. truth be told, though, most of the other coins look like problem coins as well.

This is a smart way to dump large amounts of junk problem coins, as they will probably get more bids than they would listed solo.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a deceiving but good way to make money. He is getting plenty of negatives soon....
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fathead 5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would pass on all of these offers...unless the condition of each individual coin is disclosed, you won't know what you're getting. The specific dates, mintmark, etc. are not even disclosed. These are not good deals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, half those listings ended on Dec. 25th. All feedback was positive, so apparently he's legit. Very clever way to market his premium coins, surround it with junk silver!
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone appears to be happy, wish I had the funds to partake in some of those.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12039 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was smart strategy on sellers part . he certainly was pulling in bidders both newbies and seasoned alike . I don't believe he lost money, I'm sure all common dates except for that one biggie sort after coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller's strategy is good as it saves in shipping. It also allows the seller to move problem coins. Paralyze summed it up perfect as a buyer I would not touch it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to be working for him. Lots of bids and good feedback.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2727 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, its a very clever strategy because he can get rid of unwanted or cull coins by putting them into lots with expensive and desirable ones, forcing customers to buy everything just to get to the one or two good pieces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the sellers strategy is good
the buyers strategy is poor and amateur in thinking

For instance, look at the 1796 draped bust dime auction. it went for $1225. If you have $1225 to spend on such an obvious problem coin then you do not have the knowledge, patience and strategic thinking to save up over the next six months and hunt the auction sites for a problem free CAC example. Its lack of patience on the part of buyers that creates the flow of problem coins in the hobby. IMHO of course

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1796-DRAPED...42257980942?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aron Green: I absolutely disagree. The buyers knew exactly what they were getting. The coins are all pictured. let the buyer decide the grade for themselves.
Learn More...
United States
23147 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In one of his listings, the seller disclosed something about why he lists his coins in lots....

"Because of a misunderstanding last winter, I'm restricted on the amount I can list each month. Putting them in higher end groups helps me get around that somewhat , Gregory".

I have to object to the inclusion of a grading company label (not a slab, just a label) with a raw coin. That label could be fake, or go with some other coin. Even if you believe it actually once went with a graded coin, that coin is no longer certified (now raw) and eBay policy prohibits the practice of including numeric grades with raw coins.

One I saw ( 201783711356 ) was a PCGS label indicating "GSA", but is now supposedly broken out basically losing that provenance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller could care less that some of you don't like his auctions. The fact is the seller is happy, and it appears the buyers are happy.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Edited by thecoinguy1964
02/14/2017 4:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its "eww-boy" as I call it. The sellers happy, he got $, Bay's happy, they got $, buyer's happy(apparently), he's got something he thinks is worth $. What's the common thread?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05