Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Holders Protect Coins From Toning?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  3:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do the holders used by PCGS and NGC protect silver coins from toning, or further toning? Anyone have a personal experience?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seal is not perfect -- toning can still happen if the slab is not stored properly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some holders will tone the coin. A Morgan in a NGC Fatty holder will often show edge toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both PCGS and NGC have gone through phases where their slabs caused problems that were not there before encapsulation. The worst was the long years of ASE proofs that had white milk spots and haze.

So not only will the encapsulation not always protect from toning, in some odd cases it will cause toning, or haze, or spots.

Usually if you are purchasing a coin that has been encapsulated for more than 5 years without showing any degradation's, then you are probably safe for anything to crop up later.

Keep the coins out of long exposures to the sun, which is most unlikely most of the time, anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1459 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not air tight. I am currently engaged in a red cent stability study in a variety of slabs.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alpha2814, what constitutes "proper storage?" Hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar left on my back porch (If I had a back porch.)? I have my slabbed coins in a velvet lined wooden box from the folks at Lighthouse that I keep in my closet (away from my dirty socks). I live in Southern California so I'm not down wind from an active volcano either.
Learn More...
United States
79239 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proper storage means in an stable environment: low humidity, no large temperature swings, no pollution, etc.
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dual-brain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 2 cents:
PCGS secure slabs are supposed to be more stable than most;
Older PCI slabs make purple and red toning, rather dramatically;
NCS states that milk spots are uncleanable and the result of a mint process (believed to be the result of a chemical left on the planchets after they are cleaned)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12776 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The worst was the long years of ASE proofs that had white milk spots and haze.

Milk spots are an issue with the mint not a holder issue. Raw coins were getting them just as much
Fire A.J. Preller
Learn More...
United States
79239 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Milk spots are an issue with the mint not a holder issue. Raw coins were getting them just as much
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5106 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For copper and silver coins especially it is worth storing them with desiccant. This helps prevent any toning that might be promoted by humidity. I use silica gel packs in my home safe and my safe deposit box. I recharge them every few months by baking them in my oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees F. They last indefinitely and are a good investment.

Toning will not be a problem for stabbed gold (or platinum) coins.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1734 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM also has the same issues with Milk spots on some of their Bullion coins as well. The consensus here is that in the minting process the chemicals were not completely removed before the strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The short answer is, "No,' but it slows it down IF the coin has been dipped with dip residue left on it. In those cases the coin can tone very quickly. That also goes for "red copper" that has been made so by chemical means.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2017  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NH collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct storage will lessen any discolorations. If you keep your coins in a safe, make sure you open the safe from time to time and let it air out. I have seen collections left in a closed safe for 10 or more years. The humidity in a closed safe causes problems. Never keep coins (slabbed or otherwise) in an attic or basement.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05