Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New ASE Proof From The San Fran Mint

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
United States
6157 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The thing that is crazy is the price going for the 2016 congratulations set ASE. People are paying more than a grand on it, even though the coin itself is no different, you just have a ... cardboard folder...

This kind of thing and different labels on the same slabbed coin remind me of Beanie Babies.

All the more power to those who enjoy collecting them. I sincerely hope the bottom does not drop out on them some day though.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2016 congrats set must have got a Trump bump too!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10213 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42, I was about to argue with you a little on the Beanie Baby analogy, but the more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

The only point I can argue is I am not aware of any TPGs in the 90s when Beanies were hot. The only things that mattered were the Beanie, its tags, generation, and condition. And to your point, the tags were often the only thing that changed on the same Beanie. Occasionally there was a fundamental change in the toy from generation to generation.

(So on a whim I searched for "Beanie Baby grading" and, lo and behold, there are a number of very professional-sounding graders and authenticators out there ready to send you a Microsoft-Word-generated COA printed on their InkJet printer for a modest fee.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4811 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  06:56 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Professional grading of any collectible was established with the purpose of making it easier for the collector to determine the authenticity and quality of what they are buying...sometimes sight unseen. Comic books, baseball cards autographs, sports items, paper money etc. etc. etc. are available with either a grade or COA...

But...a helpful coin service has gone a bit whacko with waaay too many "labels" confusing and complicating the hobby. When I collected Morgan dollars it was simple....Buying a 1885-S MS65PL certified by one of the top 2/3 TPG's I kinda knew what I was getting....

It seemed that the ASE changed things...too boring I guess to just see MS69 on every label..let's put a picture of somebody there, maybe a signature, which set it came from, maybe which day of the week it was minted. Complicated and lame (opinion)

But...facts are...collectors buy them. Otherwise they wouldn't exist. Just because I don't agree with or understand the purpose for something doesn't remove it from being a potential sale item...

...and then there are Beanie Babies
Edited by Foxwoods Man
08/22/2017 06:58 am
Learn More...
United States
80832 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just proves the fact that, if you are buying for eventual sale, you can't ignore what someone else thinks is valuable.
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6157 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2017  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The problem is knowing when to make a hasty retreat when dealing in something with no inherent value.

Obviously silver and gold coins have inherent value. Services, if they are worthy of value given, must be willing and able to be accountable by having verifiable standards and repeatable results.

For my money, it is up to a business to prove what they do will has consistency that withstands tangible scrutiny every time. Learning from the Beanie Baby craze, mass acceptance of a service/product has nothing to do with legitimacy.

I have also learned to be wary of a business/product when they resort to dreaming up new ways of marketing the exact same product under a different guise/label just so people will see one as more valuable than the other.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2017  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the 2016-W proof. The edge lettering is an interesting twist in the proof series. That said, I wouldn't give a cent more for one that came in a "congratulations" set. I don't expect collectors fifty years in the future will care much either. Just my .02
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10213 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2017  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@AES, I'm sure you're aware that the 2017 S-Proof ASE is (at least at this point) exclusive to the 2017 Congratulations Set and the 2017 LESPS. It's not just a W-Proof in alternate packaging.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2017  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm aware that the 2017-S proof eagle has a limited mintage and has only been available through the congratulations set so far. I have a number of these stashed. My comment was regarding the 2016 congratulations set that some have been paying a grand to obtain.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10213 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2017  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gotcha. I missed that you said 2016.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2017  07:56 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to updated 2018 schedule, the 2018 Congratulations set will have a West Point Proof ASE:
https://catalog.usmint.gov/congratu...uct-schedule
Mintage & HH limits have not been established. So much for consistency...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4811 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2017  08:24 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhh....the routine W ASE in the set. Like this one from 2016:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-congr...AOSwwf1Z1B2j

Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05