Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 German (?) 500 Reichsbanknote  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2017  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coconice to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am unable to find this note at RealBankNotes .com.

I've searched under 1923, German, 500, and none of the results matched up. Then I tried the other variations on German, and still nothing.

Any thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
Poland
3194 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2017  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Germany 500,000,000 mark, 1923-09-01, P-110.
Edited by DL20K
05/14/2017 11:19 am
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2017  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much.

It did not cross my mind that the 500 portion was just the header to a bunch of zeros.

I'll keep that in mind as I search up the rest of my old, foreign currency.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2407 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2017  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coconice, that's what great about CCF there's usually a knowledgeable person along shortly. Followed by a discussion on the (coin, currency, token, medal, private minting, bullion, or counterfeit) attributes and possible grade.

I have learned interesting things and empirically increased my knowledge of numismatics.

I would also collect chocolate coins, except for that one problem.

ANA # 3189614
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3194 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that provides a thing to discuss. Namely:
- at which point did the Germans decide to drop the long lines of zeros in favor of writing the face value in words instead?

The 5,000,000 mark (P-90) still had all the zeros written out... seven times in total...
Pillar of the Community
United States
576 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. I think the Germans started looking at the money being worth less than the cost of the paper and ink components in late 1920, and got progressively more serious in 1921-1922, and then 'anal' by 1923. Note design was first, along with paper size. Then uniface, then number of colors on the note, then the real anality began. Nunber of zeros, and even color of ink.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7342 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a really cool note. Thanks for sharing... and to everyone for all the good info.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05