Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 consec. 1963 $2 bills, Unc, but two different sizes. Why ?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
148 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2017  8:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm posting pictures of my two different size two dollar bills, 1963. I've had them for years, but don't know enough paper money. Since they are consecutive notes, why are they two different lengths? Is this usual?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2017  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Size difference is most likely due to differences in environmental storage conditions. Light, humidity and temperature can affect paper.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15313 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2017  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is quite an extraordinary comparison for sure.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2017  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I agree storage conditions, paper, humidity, etc. , can affect paper, I remember that these have always been kept together, and again are consecutive. Thanks again for the help, though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2017  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though they are consecutive and they were stored together, one of the notes was exposed to a greater degree to the elements than the other note.

When they came off the printing press I can assure you that they were of the same dimensions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1353 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do the two compare with another denomination, or several denominations? Which is the "true" size?

The only parts that need to be the same size are the printed (engraved) fields. If you have them laid out like that, trying to get one edge continuous with the other, make sure that the same amount of ink is showing above. It looks like the bottom bill lines are not exactly perpendicular/parallel. Measure with a mm rule.

- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
Edited by Biedercoins
05/17/2017 07:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
518 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your notes are Series 1953, not Series 1963.

The reason for the different sizes is paper shrinkage. This Series was printed using the wet printing process. The sheets were dampened prior to printing. The drying process results in paper shrinkage. Differences in the amount of water used, drying time, drying heat, etc. lead to different rates of paper shrinkage.

The change to dry printing began with Series 1963. The BEP printed dry and wet printed notes at the same time with wet printed notes keeping the old series (1953C for $2.00 US Notes) and dry printed notes getting the new series (1963). This is why the signatures are the same on these different series.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first I thought it must be shrinkage, too, but having just found the bills, I took a careful look. They are part of a run of 13 consecutive bills, from A37585367 to A37585380. The oddball is the #375 number. It is longer than all the other bills, even though it is in the middle of the pack. In each of other packs of 1953, 1953-A, 1953 B, and 1953-C I found at least one bill that is longer than all the others. One is even longer than the one you see. I was going to post more pictures, but the rules prohibit editing after one day. It looks like it will remain a mystery. Thanks for trying to help.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, a measure of the serial number of each bill with a mm scale produced a difference of one centimeter, with the larger bill having the longer size serial number.
Pillar of the Community
United States
518 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the position letter and number the same for the larger ones?
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything is the same, with the exception of a slightly longer serial number. If you like I can start a new topic and show you pictures .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05