Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a 1939 P Error Penny?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  6:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Henry Reynolds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this while cleaning out a jewelry box. It was labeled by someone else as a 1939 P Penny Error. I see no obvious error. Is there one, and if so, what would be the estimated value? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looks like circulation damage - I see no errors
Working on a Dansco ASE 7181. 26 of 32
Pillar of the Community
United States
2753 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

I see some damage, but nothing to point to it being an error coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2708 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6226 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Do you still have the label? It might give us a clue as to why the previous owner thought it was an error.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Henry Reynolds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was in an envelope, nothing special about it or the writing. Since it was so worn from circulation wear and tear, I felt that the odds of an error coin circulating so long were an extreme long shot. Thanks for taking the time to look and share your thoughts!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing here that screams error, but how about die rotation error? We wouldn't be able to tell that from the images here. On an unrelated note, the color looks funky to me, almost as if artificially colored. Notice how the fields are one color in the flattest areas, but a different color at the edge of the designs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  12:24 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone possibly saw the 3 as being a Doubled Die?

"I'm beginning to like the taste of my feet. I find them inside my mouth continually."
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Henry Reynolds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed the "fat" 3 but I don't know enough about a double die.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Henry Reynolds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this new image helps...but I tried to get a cleared photo.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24363 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '3' looks like it was flattened in circulation. Just a circulated Wheat cent with damage on the rim.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14760 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Henry Reynolds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for everyone's input. I go with circulation damaged 3.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05