Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 1908 D Barber Half Dollar Was Lost For 3 Days

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  2:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had purchased a 1908 D Barber half dollar on eBay. The coin on Wednesday was delivered to my address per the First Class Tracking, but there was no coin in my mail box. I talked to my mail carrier and she went to her boss and they ran a search on the GPS tracking and found the GPS tracking scan to have taken place one street over. She went to the GPS house and they did not receive the package. Today she checked with the houses next to the GPS house and my coin was located. I am a happy camper today.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42653 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting story. I assume signature confirmation was not required - the FC package was just left at the wrong address on the wrong block? Is that right?
Edited by Coinfrog
05/27/2017 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the package was left at the wrong house on the wrong block. The package did not require a signature. Once a package is delivered with tracking conformation eBay will back the seller and the buyer is out the money and I was really worried about losing my money.

The mail carrier is to scan the package at the mailbox and the GPS can pin point the address of the scan. The GPS ended up being off one house. I lost a package noted as delivered in or at mailbox about 6 months ago when my regular carrier was on vacation and no one at the post office told me that they had a GPS system for tracking where the package was scanned.
Edited by Slider23
05/27/2017 5:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scary story with a happy ending, and what a beautiful coin. Are you putting together a set of this grade?
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am putting together a type set and the 50 cents Barber completes the Barber coins. I am a little over 50% completion on the type set.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42653 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad it worked out for you. I get USPS First Class packages on a regular basis and have never considered what my options were if one didn't arrive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So glad you had a happy ending and nice Barber half.
I wasn't aware they could GPS the scan location.
Nice information to have. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The heck was that carrier doing...should be reprocussions for doing that...imagine if your package contained more coins
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The carrier admitted she made a mistake and was doing everything possible to get my package. She said, that my house and the wrong delivery house on another street are next to each other when she sorts the mail in her truck. They would not tell me the address that the GPS provided because they were afraid I going to go over there and raise heck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7571 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take it they opened your package and wasn't going to say anything.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2017  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The package was unopened. If the mail carrier had not gone to the door asking for the package, I most likely would not have recovered the coin.
Rest in Peace
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2017  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Elbesaar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice Barber Half - and you were VERY lucky to receive it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2017  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great news that you ultimately received it undamaged! If I lost a Barber coin in the mail...
Learn More...
United States
79092 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2017  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for the carrier, to try to fix her mistake -- and double-good for succeeding! A shame that whoever received the package by accident didn't make some effort to get it to you themselves. I would have done that, or at least put it back through USPS to try again. Interesting about the GPS tracking, too.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2017  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The mail carrier is to scan the package at the mailbox and the GPS can pin point the address of the scan

This is good to know, because one of my packages was lost when tracking said "delivered" at my office about a year ago.

I went to my local USPS but they really couldn't do anything for me, and asked me if the package was insured. It was not!

Luckily, I had the footage from my security camera looking at the front door, and I produced video footage & picture of the mail carrier holding no package on the date it said delivered.

After searching at the Post Office, they found it in the back.

I have no grudge against mail carriers. They do a difficult job and I'm appreciative of them. But these things happen and you had no recourse, until now(GPS). I would have been out of a computer part that was $300. I now have cameras in my house too.

Nice Barber, by the way..
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Edited by Coconutjoe
06/13/2017 03:57 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05