Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1798 Flowing Hair Opinion

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  09:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Treetopflyer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking to buy this coin for a great price from a reputable seller. $1000. Has been certified NGC.
It has a large eagle, pointed 9, 13 stars, 10 arrows, 5 berries and 4 vertical lines.
Listed at VF details and scratches.
One thing I noticed is that its slightly off center if you look at the reed edges. Not sure if that significant due to NGC not picking it up but I thought it was interesting as all the pics I've seen of Flowing hair dollars don't. Also noticed that there is a rim blob of some sort.
My question to this community is this something I should purchase? or walk away?
Opinions and explanations appreciated.
Dave

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  09:54 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim hit on the obverse 4:00 should be a concern. The off center is within normal and should not really affect value that much. the blob would be cud. I would say that $1000 is the top of the range for such a coin, but not ridiculous.
EDIT: I would back up on that. The price tag seems to be inline with the coin being offered.
Edited by BigSilver
06/02/2017 09:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7142 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that my eye was quickly drawn to the rim hit at 4 o'clock. I don't know much about these, but I only buy coins with issues if it's a great deal. That being said, did a little research, and $1000 is on the low end of ones sold by Heritage. Probably the number of issues is keeping the price down a bit. Not a bad deal. $950 would be better :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2436 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is not a strong Details coin as the coin looks VF 20 with a distracting rim ding. You will pay a little more, but you may want to look for a better example.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that a dealer will likely offer you $500 max if you ever want to sell it. This is a tough time to find any deals on Early Dollars. I started a tread entitled "Do affordable Bust Dollars still exist?" in this section of the forum. It is probably would a quick read. I would wait for a genuine problem free example with original surfaces if you are a collector keeping it long term.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For $300-$500 more, probably an 1799, you should be able to find one problem free.

I've never kept coins I didn't like, so it does depend on your tolerance for bumps and bruises.

I have a sign above my monitor that says - Never buy anything you don't love. Cheap always has a reason.

On occasion folks get lucky, but I never count on that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really tore up, bro. You need to ask yourself if you buy it, will you be happy with it in your collection. Personally I'd rather have a cleaned details coin over one with scratches. I don't even like early dollars with adjustment marks.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those scratches and rim hit are very distracting. Unless you want it as a first coin dated in the 1700's and don't mind the distractions then avoid it. Plus in that condition it will be a tougher sell down the road.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42897 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep looking as well.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratches, while many, are old ones that are toned over. The one bump doesn't bother me as much as all the rim 'chatter' from 2:00 to 4:00 on the obverse but it's a heavy coin that's going on 220 years old. $1,000 seems about right to me for value but it would take a better price for me personally to get it so I know I could easily unload it if I wanted to upgrade it down the road.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1335 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I believe you can find one with better eye appeal and fewer problems.
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2190 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The price sounds fair to me but the problems go beyond the scratches noted in the grading. In my opinion the scratches are ok but the rim ding and other hits in the 3 o'clock area of the obverse bother me more than the scratches. I would pass on this one.
Member ANA and EAC

You got to lose to know how to win.
Dream On by Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
4533 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2017  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin you have pictured is a Draped Bust Large Eagle.

I agree with moxKing ,for a few hundred more you can find one in a better condition,the scrach across the profile and particularly that Rim damage are a real turn off for me.
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2017  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fathead 5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an ugly coin, with damage to different areas. Ask yourself, when it comes time to sell, wether the next person will want this crappy coin?
Definitely pass on this one; this is not a rare coin, and you can find a more pleasing and problem-free example.
Valued Member
South Africa
331 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2017  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teslacoil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man those coins are beautiful, fast becoming my favorite coin, I don't own one don't have the money to buy them but one day I shall have one!
Valued Member
126 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2017  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MerlinAurelius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your own sense of eye appeal is huge factor with coins that have dings or other issues. If you are doubting the purchase I think that says it all...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05