Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Disappeared On The Way To PCGS

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Procrustes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just received a bit of an unsettling e-mail from PCGS. I'd sent in a package with four coins to be reholdered via (insured) USPS priority mail. They informed me that the package arrived with the PCGS submission slips, but without any coins!

I called and they confirmed that the coins were not in the package. Have any of you ever heard of this happening? I'm not sure what action I need to take.

I know the package was 6.3oz from the post office receipt, and plan on stopping by the post office to weigh the empty envelope to make sure it isn't that I forgot to put them in, but the odds of that are pretty low.

At least it wasn't a very large submission!
Edited by Procrustes
06/30/2017 3:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jolteon1698 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, never heard of that before
Pillar of the Community
United States
4724 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did PCGS notice any signs of tampering with the box? They should have security video of the package being opened

Next time use Registered Mail!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Wondering what USPS will do since it was technically delivered
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Procrustes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westernsky: I usually do, I didn't this time because the package was lower value. Believe me, I'll be using registered mail every time after this!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3322 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch. Absent any clear evidence the package was opened, USPS is probably going to decline to pay on the insurance claim.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2430 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you tape the ends of the Priority Box? The Priority box can be easily opened on the end by working the tab out of the hole.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12770 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing you need to do is search the house and make sure they were in there. Once you are sure that no mistake could have been made by you you need to contact the postal inspectors and file a police report about the theft. I would contact PCGS as well and ask them to save the video of the box being opened if they had accepted the package and noticed then and let them know you are filing a police report about it. The postal inspectors will contact them anyway but it may speed it up a bit if they have a heads up.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/
Fire A.J. Preller
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NOTE: TO All that use USPS Priority Mail Small Box

As stated above, TAPE the friggin' box ends! Not only that but stuff packing as well so as not to sound like a baby's rattle...those oversights invite snoopy fingers! Things like coins loose in tubes, slabs loose in plastic bags not taped together, noise indicates contents! Especially to whom package is to or from!

(From a former Rural Mail Carrier, Columbia, MO)

Edited by Crazyb0
06/30/2017 6:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42704 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, well said.
Learn More...
United States
79136 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know the package was 6.3oz from the post office receipt, and plan on stopping by the post office to weigh the empty envelope to make sure it isn't that I forgot to put them in, but the odds of that are pretty low.
I cannot imagine an empty envelope weighing that much. I think your coins were nicked along the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7134 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That really stinks . Hopefully USPS will honor the insurance. Please keep us posted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing I said was "OUCH!" Sorry for your loss, that totally blows...

You said
Quote:
to weigh the empty envelope
, did you use an envelope, or a box? I just want to be clear, and if you did use an envelope, I hope you won't in the future.

A USPS small flat rate box weighs roughly 4 ounces, with 4 coins and sub slip,, I would see it at about the billed 6 ounces. A large envelope weighs about 2 ounces, and with a couple of Morgans (or similar) and sub slip, I could also see it going to the 6 oz area.

Has PCGS sent you back the empty packaging, or do they still have it? I would think they know not to dispose of it, but make sure they haven't, that's evidence. Start the tedious process of an insurance claim with USPS, and expect them to deny your first claim submission. Just keep on them until you get you money back, and you are made whole.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always use copious amounts of tape. I have not yet had a package with its contents stolen. *knocks wood*
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vermillion Flycatche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never sent coins in for stabbing but your story reminds me about why certified mail exists and not to get annoyed at trips to the post office to pick up coin shipments.

Following up after Beefer518. Was it your envelope or one of the usps flat rate shipping envelopes? I didn't think the flat rate shipping envelopes were that easy to tamper with...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was in the package?
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05