Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Explanation Needed For This Pic

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  7:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The coin has a frosted look that increases as you view towards the edge. Is this a photography issue or a coin issue? If coin issue what is going on?

Thanks for you help
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5827 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die wear maybe? Like a transition from PL to normal?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that the coin is frosted with some rim toning. The black circular area is most like a reflection of the camera lens.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He's using a homemade diffusing of some sort, lite areas outer, mid darkened center lighter, looks like natural frost with bag rubs...but if one is good, that can be artificial
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and appears they are using a circular light, and that may be the reason for the darker center.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Learn More...
United States
79440 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2017  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and appears they are using a circular light, and that may be the reason for the darker center.
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2017  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does the lighting, in this case, effect the condition of the coin? What are the opinions on this coin as presented? Thanks again. Just trying to learn.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2017  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The goal of taking coin photos is to make the coin appear as the view in hand. The photo could be hiding issues with the coin. From photos the coin does not appear to higher than MS 61, but it could be a details or AU. The best practice on buying coins with strange photos like this is to pass.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42887 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2017  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tend to agree, or ask for better ones.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8308 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2017  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is using a sneaky technique to make all of his coins look PL/DMPL. This is probably being done using a combination of lighting and the right surfaces. Look at the odd reflection of the coin around the edges - as though it's being photographed on top of a shiny surface. It looks Photoshopped and extremely unnatural.

One of my guesses is that this is accomplished by using a semi-opaque glass or plastic tumbler, placing the coin at the bottom of the glass, then placing a filtered or diffuse light source at an angle (perpendicular) to create maximum contrast and minimum reflectivity, e.g. directly above or below the coin. A plastic Coinsafe-type tube might also work.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
07/14/2017 9:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2017  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Adam. I have seen this sellers pics and I said to myself run away. They are doctored to look pl. I bought 3 coins this week that looked pl. only 1 panned out the other 2 are being returned.
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2017  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance that they surface of the coin has suffered from some type of slow chemical reaction (PVC)? I'm thinking that the coin may have been in a holder for several years.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05