Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Roosevelt Dime 1965/1966/1967 Business Strike Vs. SMS Strikes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,148Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
312 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am working on a Roosevelt dime Collection and have a question about the 1965/1966/1967 dates.

How do I tell the difference between a "Business Strike" in one of these years vs. a "SMS" Coin (Special Mint Set).

I believe the Roosevelts in this years without a mintmark are "P" (Philly) mint coins, and would just be "business strikes".

But do the SMS Coins have an "S" mintmark like a regular Proof would?

If not, how do I know if a coin in this year is a regular "business strike" or one of these SMS "almost proofs"..

Thanks.

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
1698 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were no mintmarks on any coins in the years mentioned. I've never heard of a foolproof way to identify SMS coins other than pulling them from the OGP.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The SMS coins of 1965-67 tend to have strong strikes and somewhat reflective surfaces, generally much nicer in appearance than business strikes of the era.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2017  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bio; however, in theory a really good business strike could look nicer than a really bad SMS (late die state). The truly only guaranteed way to know you have an SMS is to get one from an OGP set. Anything else will always have the small chance of being wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4729 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2017  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interestingly I have seen SMS coins included in proof set runs on eBay. I would consider SMS coins proofs though.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2017  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, gotta agree with biokemist6 and jbuck on this one. A very good explanation.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interestingly I have seen SMS coins included in proof set runs on eBay. I would consider SMS coins proofs though.
I think it is a matter of personal preference. For what it is worth, the Dansco Kennedy half dollars "with proof only issues" album (8166) has places for the three SMS coins. It also has space for the 1964 proof, which was not a proof only year since a business strike 1964 exits as well. Yes, the 8166 is rather unique in those choices.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05