Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What if you got back every penny ?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6229 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  9:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
This poll is mainly for old timers who have been collecting for at least 35 years . If you were to get back every penny you ever spent on coins, currency, and supplies that you spent on the hobby since day one ,would you :

Results
Persue a new house - no coins left. 8% 2 Votes
Buy a new car - no coins left . 4% 1 Votes
Give the money to needy family members - no coins left . 4% 1 Votes
Use money to invest in raw gold & silver - no coins left. 4% 1 Votes
Say keep the money , I would never abandon my coins ! 81% 21 Votes

Poll Status: Open
Total Votes: 26 Counted
Last Vote: 08/17/2017 2:16 pm
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
United States
10960 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted buy a new car, but I also want to get some work done to my current house.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1). I live in an inherited house, pay half insurance and bills.....

2) drive a loaded 2003 Acura that has less than 85k original miles....

3). Needy? Relatives...let's try GREEDY" relatives that spend whenever the "urge" hits, yea, they come beggin' when they've spent their was, but giving at that point is like giving money to a homeless addict

4) Keep what I have because it is what I enjoy? Shirley you jest!!

"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
1784 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm a YN. I don't need a house, and I'm not old enough to drive a car. So that settles it. I'm keeping the coins.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11287 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked put money into raw gold and silver.

But really think it will be a mixture of those options.

And I am getting close to making that decision.

I own my house, but just put it on the market. Selling
to move closer to family. I would give money to my daughters,
but not giving them money is sometime a better way to help.

I think moving money into gold and silver will be a better
way to pass money to my daughters, once I am gone. But I
am sure I will keep some coins to .. hopefully .. keep as
family treasure ....
GoldRush58 - GR58
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2179 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would buy a really high end watch... the gold silver investment sounds more logical but mechanical items are free from capital gains taxes and if you buy the right model at the right price that would rise too. Much like coins though its not the common stuff that accumulates its the rare and expensive stuff that gets rarer.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2085 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I'm a YN. I don't need a house, and I'm not old enough to drive a car. So that settles it. I'm keeping the coins.

I'm technically old enough to drive a car, but I'm not planning to use one anyway.
It doesn't help that most of my purchases were bargain bin finds (and a few were gifts). So I didn't actually spend that much (I estimate maybe $2000 or so).

A lot depends on the specifics.
Am I getting the money in rubles, in dollars, or adjusted for inflation? (About half of my purchases are from pre-2014, when a dollar was worth 25-30 rubles.)
Does it include money I paid to take public transport to coin shops? What about cases when I also went to other places once I arrived?
(Are plane tickets to places where I also bought some coins refunded? It could change the number significantly.)
Which particular parts disappear? I'd rather not end up with my mother losing most of her money because technically she's also getting coins for me - even if I get the money back, sending it to her would be tricky.

TL/DR: I'll probably keep the coins, but if it comes out to a much larger amount that I thought it did (~$10,000 might be enough), then I'd give part of it to needy family members and spend much of the rest on coins again (mostly ancients this time, with a glance at the 300 country quest).
Pillar of the Community
United States
7953 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad to see the vote is for keeping the coins.

We really couldn't rightfully call ourselves addicts if we had chosen any other common sense option.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6229 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes mox , the majority of us would not take the money back , but keep all of our coins .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
United States
45031 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not surprised that "Say keep the money , I would never abandon my coins" is winning by a landslide.

Some of you are in the wrong hobby.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2085 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not as clear-cut as that. If you've been selling a lot (which can happen naturally if your collection had been around long enough), the total amount you ever spent may greatly exceed the value of your current collection.
(Let's put it that way: imagine you just paid for an expensive vacation, and then you get an offer of cancelling and refunding it - with the caveat that you also get the money you paid for all your previous vacations. Would you accept? If so, does it mean you don't like vacations?)

Also, it may legitimately be the case that your house/family is in dire straits and would desperately need an infusion of money (look up "Justice for Abigail" for a particularly extreme example... which ultimately wasn't enough).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1602 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will never get rid of my collection, guns, or dog - on the other hand the wife...............
Completed my Dansco ASE 7181 on 8/6/2017. 32 of 32
Every coin spot free! Tougher to find water spot free Eagles than I thought!
Learn More...
United States
45031 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
873 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) Almost have this one paid for, why look for another?

2) Just bought a new (used) car, so don't need one.

3) I help family now when I can, both financially and physically (read as very cheap labor).

4) Although I do have some bullion coins, I'm not really a stacker, so not really interested.

5) My son would probably get my collection since he collects too. He's told me he'd keep my collection in tack,(or try to) so I'm keepin' 'em.
Pillar of the Community
United States
742 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to keep what I've collected over the years.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1008 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2017  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) I built one myself, no need to buy one.
2) I don't care about cars, as long as it works properly and is a 4WD I'm happy.
3) I have almost no family left and those family members I have can help themselves.
4) I only buy bullion coins, no raw bullion, really, as I found out that I'm not interested in that. So that would be coins then.
5) If I got every penny back and have to buy my collection again, I wouldn't be able to do it with that money. Inflation and hefty price increases would make that impossible. I just regret that I haven't bought more when I was younger and had the chance. So getting the initial money back would be a horrible deal. Now if only my few relatives would understand this...
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

I have a contest! http://goccf.com/t/263917
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05