Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 $5 American Golden Eagle Error?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  10:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add xricinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I’m not sure if this is considered an error as I could not find any examples of this on the internet. It almost looks like a bit of silver in the AGE metal mix did not completely melt with the gold and copper and left a pure silver spot that wraps around the side of the coin. I’m new at this and just wanted to know if this was considered a true error that could be valuable? One guy I showed the coin to first thought it was a fake gold plated silver coin, it is not. It is a real $5 AGE. Please let me know what you think.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add uruman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, could you get a full obverse and reverse picture also?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10609 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. My first assumption would be the same as the person that you showed it to. Plated.

Show both sides of the coins with two photos and we can help determine authenticity first.

Even if it is a spot error, there probably aren't 10 people on earth that collect gold eagle errors. It would be a distraction, rather than something that would increase the value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12422 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

XRF analysis would be the only non-destructive way to determine whether it is a silver inclusion or not(GAEs have a 3% silver composition).
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
1970 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum,would like to see full pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13234 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
XRF analysis would be the only non-destructive way to determine whether it is a silver inclusion or not(GAEs have a 3% silver composition).

And you would probably have problems confining the XRF ananylis to just that one tiny spot.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kinda looks like silver paint
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xricinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here they are.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4668 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@xricinx, have you weighed this piece? It might be good to know if the weight is within specs.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim looks uneven all around on both sides. I'd get another opinion on its authenticity -- XRF, even if not on just that one spot, at a minimum.
Working on: Franklin halves (Unc), Peace dollars (62-63), US type (larger Seated AU)

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05