Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 Dime has different coloring  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nhangel622 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1970 Dime that is a champagne color. What do you guys think about it? I have placed a normal dime next to it.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4097 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nhangel622, it looks to me like your '70 dime has been damaged after leaving the mint. It has the appearance of a coin given a soaking in acid, but it may just be from having been buried in the ground for a while. I'm sure others will weigh in now that CCF is back up, but in my opinion this coin can be safely spent.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
United States
11259 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess environmental damage. Might have been a metal detecting find
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might have been a metal detecting find

Yep, looks like reverse was deeper in the dirt than the obverse.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3485 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look a little "bubbly".

It has most likely spent time in the ground. Definitely a spender.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with Fuzzy on this, it does look like it has spent some time under ground.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
looks like reverse was deeper in the dirt than the obverse.

Mark, how much deeper would you say the reverse was?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7516 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Champagne color? Not seeing it, maybe it's the lighting? I wouldn't drink Champagne that color.
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a "Champagne Supernova" joke in there somewhere.

I agree, looks like a ground find. Nothing special here, but keep looking and keep asking questions.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05