Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 Penny possible error  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ajones2530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new at collecting coins and came across this 1981 penny that has half of the rim missing. Is this an error or from everyday wear ? I'm just learning so every little thing interests me.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeBipp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a off center strike.....which I believe is considered an error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3628 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ajones2530, first welcome to CCF! Second, it looks to me like this coin was struck slightly off-center, but others who know much more than I do will weigh in too. Posting a pic of the rev would be useful. Neat coin!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
United States
2767 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's either MAD (mis-aligned die) or off-center. We need a pic of the reverse to tell.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slight misaligned hammer die, technically NOT an off center strike. The die was loose in its housing and struck at a slight angle. Within tolerances, no extra value.
"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
7953 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eyes. Keep searching. We have folks report neat finds here almost every day.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24562 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the reverse is normal, then it is a MAD coin. Possible cause of the hammer die mis-aligned or tilted. There may have been a fin on the right side of the obverse, but flattened during circulation. So basically a normal copper coin. (if you are saving copper cents)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1122 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MAD ( Misaligned Die). But, it is within Mint tolerence. Not worth any extra. Worth 1 cent.
Errors And Varietys.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ajones2530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, here is a photo of the reverse. My apologies, been busy and haven't had time to post it. Thanks for the replys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your photo of reverse confirms, as Coop and Crazyb0 mentioned, it is a misaligned die.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05