Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Diez Centimos Spain

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8161 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2017  8:40 pm Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These must be pretty common even though I understand they were only minted for one year. Been in my odd ball world coins and figure it will finally be cataloged and kept.
No idea what it's worth or the grade.
If I had to guess, it might be a copper equivalent to 10 cents and worth three bucks?
It is about the size of a US Half Dollar.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
08/30/2017 8:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12770 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2017  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG, that 10 Centimos is in pretty good condition (well, anyways better than mine below). According to my 1999 edition of Krause, there were 170,086 other of these pieces minted.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8161 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2017  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, we know where two of them are now. 170,084 to go.
Thanks for the mintage figure. Apparently they were used.
Wonder what was before and after 1870 since these are 1 year coins?
My favorite album!
Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
1031 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add X2an to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
170,086 should be 170,086,000
Numista says 170,088,000

These coins are very common despite their age, but are also commonly very worn. It's not common to see them in such good condition. They were indeed a one-year-type but since the new Peseta was issued then, plenty of pieces had to be issued initially. The 5 Centimos piece has a mintage of over 200 million.
"Always assume the lowest in value for best possibilities"
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5502 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  02:58 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bronze 10 centimos and 5 centimos coins were nicknamed the 'perra gorda' and 'perra chica'. Together with later coins of the same size featuring a portrait of King Alfonso XII, they were only replaced by smaller aluminium coins in 1940. They were demonetised in 1942, and, according to a book I've got on the history of Spanish railways, the 800 tons of copper obtained from the withdrawn coins was used to make overhead wire to electrify the railway line from Madrid to Avila!
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wonder what was before and after 1870 since these are 1 year coins?

Prior to this Spain employed four different monetary systems over the tumultuous 25 year reign of Queen Isabel II. From 1864 to 1868 the monetary unit was the escudo and its fractions, centimos de escudo. Following Isabel's overthrow and flight from Spain in late 1868 a provisional government quickly approved another monetary reform, establishing the peseta as the monetary unit, with centimos de peseta as its fractions.

Although Isabel II was not a great leader, the true source of chaos both during her reign and for some years after were the many political factions that fought bitterly for control. The Spaniards who planned so carefully to overthrow Isabel II could not agree on what to do after she left. After some discussion, the Cortes (parliament) invited Prince Amadeo of Italy to become King Amadeo I of Spain in 1870. However, those many factions combined with the occasional assassination attempt ultimately proved too much. In 1873, after abdicating he famously proclaimed the Spanish people ungovernable.

In 1875 Alfonso XII, the son of Isabel II, became King of Spain and the coinage henceforth bore his likeness. Unlike his mother, Alfonso XII was well educated and proved to be a popular and productive king until his death at a relatively young age in 1885.

So there's the history surrounding these coins. I'm less familiar with the coinage itself after Isabel II than during her era, but I believe the short answer is that the Oeschger Mesdach & Co. workshops under contract with Spain minted the copper coinage of 1870 in large quantity without changing the date until 1875 when new coinage was issued for King Alfonso XII.
Edited by PatAR
08/31/2017 11:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8161 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PatAR NumisRob X2an cara and Spence !
Thank you for the posts. I like my coin a lot better now, with the info given but we are unfortunately going to have to cancel the countdown.

I would have given that first figure a shot but 170 million, naw .... I give up.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
08/31/2017 11:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10215 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

illustrating.
*perra chica*
1870 España
5 centimos

Edited by Dorado
09/01/2017 04:19 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05