Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 Nickel With Reverse ?'s

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  1:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have no idea on the reverse of this coin. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40298 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check to see if something was spilled on it and has dried? This happens often to coins. They get tossed in the cup holders in cars and stuff happens. The coin is in the later die state. Thus we see the edge of the coin and the devices touching on the EPU.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was in pretty bad shape when I found it. I have already cleaned the reverse only and what is there is part of the coin. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush and metal cleaner.

I started with a toothpick and the areas didn't move or wipe away at all.
Edited by Newbie234
09/09/2017 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone!
1. I'm no expert but I'll give my two cents.

2.My favorite coin so far: 1913 Buffalo nickel matte proof type II reverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't do acetone.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newbie, why not? Acetone removes most organic compounds, actually is safer than some metal cleaners to health?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had reaction to acetone. So I will not do anymore.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I
Quote:
have already cleaned the reverse only and what is there is part of the coin. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush and metal cleaner.

Ouch ... really?

Then what you have is 5 cents ... regardless of whatever caused the issue.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2017  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel searcher is absolutely correct. Metal cleaner like 'brasso' for example, and a hard bristled toothbrush could completely DESTROY a coins value.

Likewise crazybo and myself are correct in advising acetone to remove surface dirt. What's the problem?

That bad reaction was probably the acetone removing a 'artificial re-toning job'. The coin was probably damaged all along and the acetone just revealed the deceit IMO.

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Redfin, I took it OP physically reacted to it...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I had a physical reaction to it,Darn near passed out.
I have also rubbed a toothpick over multiple spots and nothing came off. I also used a soft tooth brush. The cleaner was like a mothers metal polish,Nothing that would damage the metal.
Edited by Newbie234
09/10/2017 05:50 am
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first step here is to completely revise your definition of "nothing that would damage the metal." For this coin it isn't relevant, but what you did would completely destroy the numismatic value of any true collectible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that. I only did it to see what was on the coin. It was pretty gunk filled. So is there another way to clean a coin besides acetone?
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes I had a physical reaction to it,Darn near passed out.

Quote:
So is there another way to clean a coin besides acetone?

I'm assuming that mineral spirits or turpentine would work just as well...the problem being that if you had a reaction to acetone you'll have reactions to these as well.

My best advice...hold your breathe?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Redifin,It's hilarious someone had a physical reaction to acetone?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4422 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2017  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Acetone is produced and disposed of in the human body through normal metabolic processes. It is normally present in blood and urine. People with diabetes produce it in larger amounts. Reproductive toxicity tests show that it has low potential to cause reproductive problems.

Quote:
Acetone has been studied extensively and is generally recognized to have low acute and chronic toxicity if ingested and/or inhaled. Acetone is not currently regarded as a carcinogen, a mutagenic chemical or a concern for chronic neurotoxicity effects.

Acetone can be found as an ingredient in a variety of consumer products ranging from cosmetics to processed and unprocessed foods. Acetone has been rated as a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) substance when present in beverages, baked foods, desserts, and preserves at concentrations ranging from 5 to 8 mg/L.

Quote:
Acetone is believed to exhibit only slight toxicity in normal use, and there is no strong evidence of chronic health effects if basic precautions are followed.

At very high vapor concentrations, acetone is irritating and, like many other solvents, may depress the central nervous system. It is also a severe irritant on contact with eyes, and a potential pulmonary aspiration risk. In one documented case, ingestion of a substantial amount of acetone led to systemic toxicity, although the patient eventually fully recovered.
Edited by Chase007
09/10/2017 1:42 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05