Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1596 Livonia 3 Groshen With Rim To Rim Die Crack

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 915Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
18302 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  9:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why should those guys who collect modern US and Canadian coins have all the fun pointing out minting errors?

After seeing this coin in my collection, I got to thinking about another CCF thread:

http://goccf.com/t/296029

Similarly to that LMC, this 3 groschen has a die crack on the obv that almost bisects the coin. The attribution is Kopicki #8192. Of course, when you are making coins by hand and relying on an ill-paid and illiterate workforce, the coins that have no errors are in the minority. In this case, the dude at the Livonian mint also managed to get the rev die about 10% off of the flan.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5532 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin, Dave. I was going to make a crack (get it?) about a splitting headache (get it, #2?), but thought the better of it.
Learn More...
United States
23416 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2017  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a big die crack. Very nice error coin, it adds character to the coin.
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to "Burst your Bubble", but just may not be a die crack. Something that size is most often what is called a "Corrosion Ridge" as seen on this Korean coin. Not saying it isn't a big plumber's crack, especially since of hand stamp process, just something to ponder

back at ya!
Edited by Crazyb0
09/16/2017 12:20 am
Learn More...
United States
18302 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

@crazyb0, I am not familiar with this term "corrosion ridge". Is it just what it seems to be--a linear region where the surface of the coin is raised due to expansion from the corrosion products? I see that on your Korean coin, the ridge includes features from the original strike as it cuts through the inscription. Is this a key feature of this phenomenon?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5532 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, I think your bubble is intact. Here's another groschen made from the same cracked die, from Ma-shops. That "ill-paid and illiterate workforce" continued to use that broken die for at least a second coin, it seems.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2017  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful example. This looks like a major die crack, especially considering the second example.
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5532 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, good find, giedrius. A lot of coins struck with that damaged die. Remarkable, at least to me, that it wasn't pulled from use as soon as it was noticed.
Learn More...
United States
18302 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional info @giedrius!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1264 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2017  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very interesting coin.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 915Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05