Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any news on the Breast Cancer Awareness Designs?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  7:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Now that the WWI Commemorative Silver Dollar designs have been released, I was wondering about the BCA designs. The Mint's website says the winners were to be announced this past June (but that website hasn't been updated since May).

I don't recall seeing any announcements. Has anyone seen anything?

I'm interested in seeing what is selected for the 18k rose colored $5 gold commemorative. Hoping it will be spectacular!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9614 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven’t seen it yet, but if that is a topic of interest France just came out with a 2 Euro coin for it not to long ago
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sent the Mint an e-mail about this and got the following response:

Quote:
The winning designs will be unveiled later this month by the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Please watch our social media pages for more information.
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense they would announce it in October since this is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven’t seen it yet, but if that is a topic of interest France just came out with a 2 Euro coin for it not to long ago

My interest is more in the coin specifications and implementation. I'm not a metallurgist, so I only know what Wikipedia tells me about 18K gold. It says the color varies depending upon the mix of Au, Cu and Ag and says that "pink gold" is 75% Au, 20% Cu and 5% Ag. Since public law 114-148 (the authorizing legislation for the BCA program) says pink gold of not less than 75% Au content, it leaves the Mint quite a bit of leeway in the percentages of other metals alloyed with the Au. Again according to Wikipedia, the color of the alloy gets more red as the %Cu is increased with red gold being defined as 75% Au and 25% Cu.

With the current commemorative $5 gold coins being 90% Au and 10% Cu it will be interesting to see how much more red the coin becomes.

It will also be interesting to see if the Au content stays at .24187 ozt, as PL 114-148 doesn't specify a weight for the coin. It does say that the diameter has to remain at .850 inches. I haven't seen anything from the Mint on how they will accommodate these specifications in the coin, but it looks to me like either the overall weight, Au weight or thickness will have to change.

All-in-all this coin will be totally different from any US gold coin ever produced. Like I said before, I'm hoping it will be spectacular!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4643 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7676 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, thanks for that link. Looking forward to the designs.

I also would like to get that 2 Euro coin.

Reminds me I need to get my annual Hard Rock Café Breast Cancer Awareness pin.

Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're interested in the 2 eurocoin, here's a link to one on eBay Canada

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FRANCE-2-Eur...302478871635

coin is located in Slovenia though.
Edited by BadDog
10/12/2017 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9614 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's two versions of it. The normal one linked and then the proof version has the ribbon colorized red.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2018 Mint product schedule indicates the BCA commemoratives will be released March 15, 2018.

Interestingly, it also indicates that a BCA Coin & Stamp Set will be released in the Fall of 2018. No details were given as to what will be included in this set.

In the past, some of these types of sets have included coins that were only available in the set ( Jefferson nickels in the Botanic Garden and Jefferson C&C sets, burnished Sacagawea in the Millenium set). This set will need to be monitored to see if a set only coin is included this time around.
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It made sense when they added the special silver dimes to the 2015 March of Dimes set. I am not sure what they could add to this set that would be significant, other than doing it just to do it.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, but since only the proof and unc coins are authorized in the legislation I have the feeling that there will need to be a "hook" to this set other than a BCA stamp for it to have any chance of success.

After all, there was no need to issue the Jefferson nickels and burnished Sacagawea with the other sets I mentioned either.
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is true. And you make a good point, the set needs added value other than the stamp. It could be interesting to watch.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2017  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Coin News

Quote:
The fall release of the 2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Coin and Stamp Set is expected to be limited to 25,000 sets and will include a 50c clad proof and Breast Cancer Awareness stamp. Its preliminary release date is Oct. 18.

That is disappointing. I was hoping to see a set only coin of some kind included in this. With only the proof clad half dollar being included, selling this set will probably be a challenge for the Mint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3655 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2017  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With only the proof clad half dollar being included, selling this set will probably be a challenge for the Mint.

Possibly, but with only 25,000 being made available it might not be too daunting of a task.

The set is reminiscent of the 1993 Bill of Rights Coin and Stamp Set. The set featured the proof 50-cent BoR coin plus a stamp in a custom package. The BoR set sold out its production run of 50,000.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05