Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to the forum! I have a Question regarding 1980's Lincoln Penny's  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinlady14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! I am so happy to have found this forum!

I am just getting into coin collecting with my 12yr old son and as our stash of coins has grown immensely over the past few months, I had a question about which Penny's from the 1980's we should keep?
I have searched this topic and some say to keep them all.
Which ones are rare or hold the most value?
For those that keep most of their 1980 Penny's, how do you organize them? I pretty much have them all in a Giant ziplock bag. Lol!
Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
46345 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You probably read that copper Lincoln cents are being hoarded because of their copper content - not that you can sell them for scrap or melt them down .
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1389 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all to the Community.

There are several Doubled Dies and Repunched Mintmarks can be found from 1980 to 1989 just need to take your time and research them,there are too many to mention, here are a couple of links for the RPM and DD listings for quick reference.http://doubleddie.com/228401.html
http://doubleddie.com/1711174.html
http://doubleddie.com/1141529.html

Plus look for 1982 large and small date (the small date being the RARE one)thank you Mark for correction 1982-D Small Date is the rare one.
http://www.Lincolncentresource.com/...es/1982.html
Good luck, come back with your questions.it will be a great joy sharing this hobby with your son.
Edited by Chase007
10/11/2017 7:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3419 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1982 large and small date (the small date being the RARE one)

the Rare one is the copper 1982-D small date,
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Edited by Mark1959
10/11/2017 3:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1465 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd probably keep any nice attractive zinc issues in AU or better. I wouldn't bother with stained cents or ones with poor plating, bubbles, and weak strikes.

You won't find too many of the ones worth saving.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15800 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I suggest you look into purchasing something called the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. In that book you can see how many of what year coins were minted. Then too you may want to buy an Album to put them in.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
9281 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to your participation.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14312 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only worth saving if in red, mint state condition. Personally, I toss anything not high grade into the junk pile. Finding them in MS-66 up in full red is more challenging than most people think.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinlady14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chase007 I believe I have several of the 1982 coins you mentioned. The row on the Left straight down are the normal sized numbering to compare to the rows on the right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of your 1982 D’s appear to be zinc. Then again, the 1982 D small date copper IS the rare one, not the “find 12 of them in a row” one.

As stated before, there are plentiful amounts of errors on almost all years of 1980’s pennies, but most are hard to come by.
"When I'm old and grey, I want to be known amongst the neighborhood kids as that old guy who gives out full size candy bars on Halloween" - me, when for some reason I was thinking really deep.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mac1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malgal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05