Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying To Complete A Morgan Set

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I need five Morgans to fill my set which is mostly AU to MS64 (common dates). If I filled most with EF coins and some with VF I could probably do it, but then the continuity of my set is off and looks like what it would be.....a compromise. Is this advisable?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the low mintage Morgans are very expensive.

I would not worry about "continuity" of the looks, rather completing the set and feeling good about it.

Just my humble opinion.

Show us some pics..
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fill now - upgrade later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9083 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm slowly working on a complete set in the Dansco 2 volume albums and I'm going after all coins in circulated condition to keep the cost somewhat reasonable while maintaining aesthetic consistency. I'm not a fan of seeing a G04 coin next to an MS64. My twist to keep it interesting for me is searching out list VAMs including the WOW list to fill as many spots as possible.
Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42816 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 89CC, 93S, and 94 are expensive in all grades, and not affordable to the average collector in AU+ condition. Set a minimum grade that you would be happy with and complete the set. The goal should be to buy a coin that is high end for the grade you select. The Heritage Auction is an excellent place to buy these expensive key dates.

When I bought my 1893 S VF30 Morgan in 2014, I had buyer's remorse for about 6 months simply because of the cost.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins that you love, regardless of grade, is what you should always shoot for. If you are happy with the lower grades, buy them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rare ones I will probably just go for VF grade. No "G" grades or I just leave them vacant. There are about half of the ones I want I could get in AU but the 93-S, 95 and 89CC there is no chance that I will spend that sort of money unless I knew the coins would appreciate before I turn up my toes. I can buy stock which pays 9% dividend. No coin will do that except you just have to love them. I like them but not in love. They are works of art, but even art has a price.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin_Operator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in a similar boat. I have found that I am willing to take lesser grade when it starts to get cost prohibitive. I do this because I love it, not because I expect to make a profit. I tried to get an MS/AU Peace dollar set, but realized I need to go XF/VF to make it affordable.

I'll always try to get the best value for my money but know the deeper I get into it, the more expensive it is. I may never finish my Morgan collection, but such is life. I enjoy looking and trying to find a good fit that doesn't break the bank!

Best of luck!
Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I need five Morgans to fill my set which is mostly AU to MS64 (common dates). If I filled most with EF coins and some with VF I could probably do it, but then the continuity of my set is off and looks like what it would be.....a compromise. Is this advisable?
If the alternative is a hole that is never filled, then yes, it is advisable. Not everyone will agree though. For me, an empty hole looks worse than an in-budget filler.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I started collecting the SLQ's and Morgans I jumped the gun because they have coins that are just so expensive that it tends to drain away from other sets I want to complete or even just cherry pick. What is funny is when I show some non-collector friend of mine a nearly complete set of Morgans they are bowled over because so many common ones are easy to get in MS64. I have quite a few where I have the actual coin in a slab and the hole filled with a shiny 1921. I really would advise starting collectors to fill easier sets first and save the SOB's until they learn more. Peace dollars are a perfect set to start and Buffalo nickels as well. I have made all the mistakes possible, but I always learn the hard way where money is concerned.
The Pros say to buy the scarce coins first because those will appreciate fastest if at all. I did not get into to make money, but when you spend $2000 on a coin you begin to think and buyer's remorse sets in for me to some extent. The first "expensive" coin I bought was a 1923-S LSQ in EF condition. I paid well over $1000 for that coin and I really thought I had lost my mind. Anyone else ever get those twinges?
Learn More...
United States
79271 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Expensive? I have never cracked the $200 mark for a single coin.

I twinged all eight times that I managed to cross the $100 barrier!
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can afford a complete set of Morgans in MS, who the heck cares what others think? I couldn't even come close to completing such a set even 15 years back, when I was filling mine, mucho dinero! Best of luck.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2017  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Expensive? I have never cracked the $200 mark for a single coin.

I twinged all eight times that I managed to cross the $100 barrier!

Heh. My collection consists completely of coins whose price didn't exceed $100.

And one single coin I spent almost a thousand on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2017  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add duncanbishop24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say just fill it with what you like. Nothing wrong with a continuity break in my opinion. It may look different, but if you get nice coins with good eye appeal, they'll look great even if they're not MS/BU
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42816 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2017  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave - C'mon, you gotta tell us what that coin is!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05