Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Raw Currency Sleeves - What Do You Use?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  1:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Currently, I store my raw FRN FRB district sets with all notes of a series in the same currency sleeve. I've been thinking about putting them into separate sleeves, which would mean I need to purchase a few hundred sleeves. I've been going back and forth between getting the type that is open on the sides with a top flap that folds over and the type that is closed on the sides with an opening at the top.

So, I was wondering what type of sleeve is the most popular with everyone. Feel free to comment on the pros and cons of each type as you see them.

Poll Question: If you use currency sleeves for raw notes, do you use the fold over type or top loader type of sleeve?

Poll Choices
  Top Loader Sleeve
  Fold Over Sleeve

Pillar of the Community
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a fold over. I voted that way and the poll didn't accept my vote.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The poll says it's open. I've asked the admins to look at the poll and see if they can figure out why it wouldn't let you vote.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took mine alright. I use the top load. I don't have any super-dooper values, SC's Blue/Red/Green seals and foreign notes. Then I organize by vinyl pages, 2,3, or 4 sections depending on bill size. I figure that the sleeve keeps it fairly clean and flat, the binder then helps keep air and other elements away. Now if it were very valuable, I'd use a sealed form of PVC free mylar.
Edited by Crazyb0
11/15/2017 3:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top load. Easy in, easy out, smaller chance of corner rub or fold.
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top load BCW 3 ring binder pages - 4 places for small notes
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2017  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer to use the top load style.

I have some paper items in the fold over style holders too. I purchased a pack because I needed a larger size to accommodate some over-sized checks and envelopes.

-MV
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10142 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone who voted!

It looks like folks way prefer the top loader.
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top loaders are great for FRN's with some stiffness. I also collect obsolete rags and trying to get them into a top loader is really tough. Easier to use the foldover type since I can open them up enough to lay them into the holder and close them up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also collect obsolete rags and trying to get them into a top loader is really tough.

For a note in pretty bad shape, the fold over type of sleeve is the best way to go.

Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't use albums, prefer a Globe-Weis file box for storage, so the fold-over sleeves fit perfectly. I don't like the open top, you have to drag the note out of the sleeve under tension, which pulls the paper. The foldtop sleeves open up completely and allow removal of the note without tension on the fibers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2017  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is pretty much exactly why I keep flipping back and forth between which type to purchase.

The fold over type provides easy insertion of a note, but is less thick (I've only seen 4 mil) and more expensive (at least every place I've looked at).

The top loader type is not as easy to insert a note into, is generally thicker (Supersafe has 5mil and 5/10mil versions) and is a little less expensive.

To me, both types had their +'s and -'s and that's why I was wondering what most folks use.

So far, it looks like top loaders are more popular by a wide margin.
Edited by BadDog
11/18/2017 12:51 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2017  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinGuy82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tops for me,just easier accessability.Dansco currency album for my stars and other cool serial numbers I add along the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2017  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you've ever received a note from a major auction house like Heritage, Stacks-Bowers, Lyn Knight, or Spink, you'll notice it's in a top load currency sleeve.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05