Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1799 And 1800 Draped Bust Dollars Offered In Tandem

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
6997 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1799-Drape...112639476004

Last week, there was an interesting listing on the bay. A new seller was promoting the sale of Dad's coin collection. The highlight of the offering was a listing for:

1. A 1799 Draped Bust Dollar PCGS AU53, and
2. A 1800 Draped Bust Dollar Raw but very high grade.

The listing started at a dollar and sold for $13,100. I was mulling bidding on it, and wanted to discuss it, but didn't want to get in the way in case someone here was in the middle of trying to acquire these.

Now that the sale is over, what are your thoughts on the listing, the story, the coins, the grades and the price it sold at? This was not the typical auction at the bay.

Seller also had a bunch of key date Morgan's, 1879cc, 1889cc, 1883s, 1884s, 1891cc in PCGS slab, etc. The list of this seller's offerings was pretty interesting.

Your thoughts appreciated if you want to discuss. Thanks!
Edited by numismatic student
11/20/2017 12:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This seller has similar photos to some buyers I don't buy from.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of wondering just exactly whom is the guarantor of the authenticity of these coins?

He could have gotten a lot more money if he had a certificate with each of these, and a written offer from the 'dealer who really wanted these'.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my trust radar starts to spin sometimes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess there's not much risk since you can always return it, but I wouldn't have touched that listing. Too many coins in the history that would have been no brainers to have graded. There may not be any ill intent but I have a hard time looking past that they know what PCGS is and still left some of those raw
Pillar of the Community
United States
6997 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine was going off too, but the raw 1800 $ looks so high grade and convincing. Looks geared to instill greed. Apparently they were successful in attracting a lot of interest unless it was just a ring of shill bidders driving the price up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you might get a bargain, but personally I'd never buy a raw coin off of eBay for this kind of $.

Also, if the following was true

Quote:
Dealer offered quite a lot on these coins.. Really wanted them.

Then why start the auction at 1 cent and take the risk of selling for less than what the dealer offered? Was there a reserve for this auction?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3209 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the deal is to good to be true it usually is. Obvious there are exceptions like bandsdean scoring on the 1804 bust quarter. But the odds are never in your favor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6997 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is clever to throw in a PCGS au53 draped bust dollar worth more than $5-6k in the mix for credibility. It is a pretty tantalizing inducement. It limits the downside to about half.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaunty Turtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to coins but not collecting in general, and something feels off here. In this auction the seller includes "Very toned" in the title, but in the listing we're talking about they state that "Some of the coins have started getting colorful. Not sure if this is a good thing." If you're not sure if it's a good thing, then why put it in the title?

If I was the buyer however, I'd tell the seller that I'd pay cash in person. You can fly from most parts of the US to KS for $400-$500 and it would be well worth the cost knowing that you weren't getting ripped off.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41498 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd never touch it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I was the buyer however, I'd tell the seller that I'd pay cash in person. You can fly from most parts of the US to KS for $400-$500 and it would be well worth the cost knowing that you weren't getting ripped off.

Paying cash in person puts you at greater risk as a buyer. If you're wrong or miss something you have no recourse to get your money back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6997 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the deal is to good to be true it usually is. Obvious there are exceptions like bandsdean scoring on the 1804 bust quarter. But the odds are never in your favor.

But how would you feel if that 1804 quarter was offered to you first and said no because you didn't like the situation and then saw bandsdean make a wheelbarrow full of money by taking the risk you didn't take? That would hurt in my opinion.

There is risk if you do it and risk if you don't do it. Risk of walking away from a treasure voluntarily is small as you say. C'est la vie.
Edited by numismatic student
11/20/2017 5:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6997 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I would also add that if you were dealing with bad people, you may be walking into a robbery in person rather than a long distance robbery. I might prefer the option without the possibility of physical harm. You can never know these days.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The $2.95 shipping charge kept me from bidding.

But seriously, it looks like the AU53 piece was added to "Daddy's" estate quite recently: http://images.goldbergauctions.com/...e=1&lot=1247
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2415 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My gut is that this is a high end scam. The biggest issue is the photos on the raw 1800 dollar have glare or hot spots. The seller was able to photograph the coin in plastic without glare and we all know plastic holders are more difficult to photograph.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2017  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But seriously, it looks like the AU53 piece was added to "Daddy's" estate quite recently: http://images.goldbergauctions.com/.e=1&lot=1247

Nice detective work, BH! Overland Park is only 20 minutes away from my place. There have been a few public service announcements on our local craigslist page about folks selling fake gold bars. Although the dollar looks real it sure smell fishy.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05