Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins Depicting Imaginary Personifications Or Allegories.

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 26
Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2017  7:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What I mean are imaginary personifications of symbols or mythological beings, like freedom (liberty), the republic, fatherland, justice, reason, gods and goddesses. For example the French Marianne, Britannia and Hispania, Italia Turrita, Greek Titans and so.

But not coins depicting real persons like Queens, Emperors, Dictators, Heroes,etc!

As example, here I post some coins from Argentina, depicting a Freedom head personification, wearing a Phrygian cap which was engraved by Eugène-André Oudiné (1810-1887), a French sculptor. This Capped Liberty design is a beauty.

1 Peso 1882 (Patacón), Silver
20 cents. 1883, Silver
2 Cents. 1890, Copper
1 peso 1957, Nickel clad Steel

Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great idea for a thread! I'll have a dig and see what I can find - I have a few in mind.
Edited by Coopertron5000
11/25/2017 04:27 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Britannia has taken many forms on British coinage, first appearing in 1672. Heres an example from the Victorian bun head series.

Great Britain - Victoria
Farthing

Learn More...
United States
14890 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cara, very nice idea for a thread! You might consider asking the mods to move this thread over to the main section of CCF so that more eyeballs see it and contribute.

Here is my Triobol from Sicyon in ancient Greece. It features a mythical beast (the chimera) on the obv and a dove on the rev. It is in pretty rough shape, but was one of my very first coins.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Britannia has taken many forms on British coinage, first appearing in 1672. Heres an example from the Victorian bun head series.

Great Britain - Victoria
Farthing

@Coopertron5000, nice one! Britannia is one of my favorite allegories

Roman Britannia was personified as a goddess, armed with a trident and shield and with a Corinthian helmet.

Here in a British Trade dollar, 1900 B

Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@cara, very nice idea for a thread! You might consider asking the mods to move this thread over to the main section of CCF so that more eyeballs see it and contribute.

@Spence, good idea!! There are many interesting ancient allegories, which would be enjoyed by all of us, like your Greek coin with "The Chimera".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4280 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's my 1915 Sol from Peru with a seated Liberty figure:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4280 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2017  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cara: The figure of Liberty on the coins of Argentina has been one of my favorite designs for many years. Good start to the thread!

Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You might consider asking the mods to move this thread over to the main section of CCF so that more eyeballs see it and contribute.
Done.
Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I can add some US Liberty.

1827 Capped Bust Half Dollar

Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16480 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See my avatar.
Alexander the Great, gold stater, minted in Pella, c/- 359 - 336 BC.

Obverse:
Apollo, son of Zeus, god of the sun.
Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You almost lost me there until I read that the reverse is Apollo.
Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
Learn More...
United States
82702 Posts
Page: of 26 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05