Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisition

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 148
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple Longines Symphonette Sterling Silver medals at about spot of two of my more favorite people/themes for me.
1975 Longines Symphonette Lewis and Clark

The Lewis and Clark Expedition from May 1804 to September 1806, also known as the Corps of Discovery Expedition, was the first American expedition to cross what is now the western portion of the United States. It began near St. Louis, made its way westward, and passed through the continental divide to reach the Pacific coast. The Corps of Discovery comprised a selected group of U.S. Army volunteers under the command of Captain Meriwether Lewis and his close friend, Second Lieutenant William Clark.
President Thomas Jefferson commissioned the expedition shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 to explore and to map the newly acquired territory, to find a practical route across the western half of the continent, and to establish an American presence in this territory before Britain and other European powers tried to claim it.
The campaign's secondary objectives were scientific and economic: to study the area's plants, animal life, and geography, and to establish trade with local Native American tribes. With maps, sketches, and journals in hand, the expedition returned to St. Louis to report its findings to Jefferson.
Snipped from the
Wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis...k_Expedition

A 1949 Bowman Wild West card I have.

1975 Longines Symphonette Mark Twain

This medal mentions Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn on the reverse.
I have a 1920 copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which draws on his youth in Hannibal, Missouri.
Tom Sawyer was modeled on Twain as a child, with traces of schoolmates John Briggs and Will Bowen.
The book also introduces Huckleberry Finn in a supporting role, based on Twain's boyhood friend Tom Blankenship.

Twain's other major published work which I have a matching 1917 copy was the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which confirmed him as a noteworthy American writer. Some have called it the first Great American Novel, and the book has become required reading in many schools throughout the United States.
Huckleberry Finn was an offshoot from Tom Sawyer and had a more serious tone than its predecessor. Four hundred manuscript pages were written in mid-1876, right after the publication of Tom Sawyer. The last fifth of Huckleberry Finn is subject to much controversy.

I always loved being on big rivers, whether swimming on a weekday afternoon, or fishing for catfish from a boat at night, I've have done both, hundreds, if not a thousand times.
Many a time, I thought about these characters out there on the river and love these stories.
I like the old movies too.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
73373 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
823 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice medals and wonderful books you show here TNG ! Twain is a hero. Hope to find the time soon to read him again after many years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of Lewis & Clark, I recently picked up this Franklin Mint product for the 1969 MIDLAND EMPIRE STATE FAIR, showing the two explorers, mounted in display card with information card as well. Medal since freed and now resides in my Fairs & Exhibitions album.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Lewis & Clark 999! I looked for info on the 73 Black Expo medal and event but came up empty.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
73373 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
peaking of Lewis & Clark, I recently picked up this Franklin Mint product for the 1969 MIDLAND EMPIRE STATE FAIR...
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Longines Symphonette ~ Whittnauer

Great American Triumphs circa 1971-1976

Washington's Farewell to His Officers
ERROR reverse!

I have found that about 1 out of every 10 of these medals have a date on the reverse that is in error and reads December 4, 1778 instead of December 4, 1783.
About 5000 of each medal in this set was minted. Many were melted in the silver boom of the late 70's. I would estimate there are well less than 500 of these errors in existence.
They can be found at the same prices as the correct ones.
There may be other errors out there on other medals. This is a bit of a sleeper since little attention is paid to this medal in the 60 medal set. It is certainly not one of the most popular themes.
I think it would take quite a bit of time to research and check them all out.

I don't have the correct version yet, I'll pick one up when a good deal presents itself. They are easy to get.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last one I needed to make a set.
Not the nicest of the three, but it does make my others look better.

1933 Days Of Forty-Nine Chicago World's Fair
20 MEX Gambling Token

This third medal or token would make up a complete set as far as I know. I have not seen any other denominations.

An exhibit within the 1933-34 Chicago World's Fair was called The Days of Forty-Nine. A recreation of an 1849 gold rush camp. Visitors could partake in activities and events that typically happened in the camps. One of those activities was card game gambling.
Since gambling was illegal, the participants used tokens provided by the exhibit as souvenirs. I have found three tokens so far. The 5 10 and 20 MEX denominations. This is a 20 MEX gambling token. Composition is brass and is 24mm in diameter.

5 MEX post
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=130#2975466

10 MEX post
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=133#2979464

My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pleased with the results. Completed NGC grading/NGC Photo Vision® imaging on 6/25/19.

Seems to be a NGC top pop at MS 66. Can't find another one in the NGC census. Also, none in the PCGS census (there is an error in its listing).

Awaiting its arrival back home.

I wrote a short paper based on my original research findings several years back: designer, manufacturer, etc. Paper is still unpublished, a possible numismatic article in the future with this high grade specimen as its centerpiece.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moola Waka Woo Hoo !
Nice one DrDarryl, I have never seen one of those before.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
73373 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DrDarryl - the Hawaiian medal is simply superb, never heard of it before.

TNG - so you did get one of those MEX 20 tokens. You have a nice set there, for sure.
The Whittnauer medals are well executed.
Re: Mark Twain items, your ancillary items always add interest to your postings

And Yarm, somehow I missed the original post of the Phrenology medal. How interesting. Is this a topic you look for or is this a lone item in a general collection. Never seen one of these either.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
999, Thank you. Yeah, the 20 MEX seem to be tough to find problem free. One day, a good deal will appear for an upgrade.

1936 Texas State Centennial - The Progress Laundry Medal

An Obverse with Sam Houston on horseback and a Lone Star of Texas with his name within.
I have seen other beat up medals with this obverse but with a different reverse.
One I recall, was for Alamo Downs, a horse race track.

This one is the only one of these I have ever seen.
The front is gilt with a little loss, and the reverse is a silver color.
It celebrates The Progress Laundry's Silver 25th Anniversary, having a business in both Waco and Dallas and was owned by D.P Wallace.

Well, In some cases, I do not have a medal or ticket for all the pre-World War II expositions and World Fairs . . . yet.
I hunt for tickets as well.

However, a Texas Centennial Exposition medal is hard to find. This is a nice one, and I do believe it is quite scarce, but of course, it is not an official exposition medal and it will have to do.
I don't know if there were any official 1936 Texas Centennial souvenir medals.
Haven't seen any yet.

The Texas Centennial Exposition was a world's fair held June 6th 1936 to November 29th 1936, at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas.
A celebration of the 100th anniversary of Texas's independence from Mexico in 1836.
It celebrated Texas and Western American culture.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Lewis & Clark arrived, offered by the seller as the Sterling Silver version which I question. (No I don't have a scale) It didn't pass my ping test though.

To me it appears as the ordinary Nickel-Silver (another term cor CuNi, copper nickel?) version. Can someone familiar with the Franklin Mint products if the sterling varieties are hallmarked in any way.

The seller couldn't provide any assurance to my question to him, but his response was amicable: "

"Just did a little checking on the event.
That's what it said.
You may return if you dont like it.."

At $11.45 including shipping, I realize this isn't a fortune, but given the apparent wear, and the ordinary minting, the price seems overpriced to me.

(Yes I was hoping for a bargain)

Edited by 999fine
06/28/2019 02:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - only ones I've seen on eBay are

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1836-1936-...AOSwWH1cGBUG

which looks like a blank reverse, and this with Alamo Downs reverse.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Texas...75.l2557Both rether doggy.
Page: of 148 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05