Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 188
Learn More...
United States
84321 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful additions, TNG. As always, the write-ups are an appreciated bonus for the images.
Learn More...
United States
15504 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure that this Woodrow Wilson token that I recently picked up has not been posted previously at CCF, although one early thread seems to describe a somewhat similar piece http://goccf.com/t/150853). I like that he is described as "The Professor".

Here is a link to the numista page for a token with a very similar design, although mine is a bit smaller and does not have reeded edges: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces120530.html

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence, for "The Professor" medal addition.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
06/10/2018 7:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't find where I posted about my Aluminum Canadian Medal
"The Big Nickel"
It is dated 1951 but minted much later in the 60's I believe.
Tonight I added the nickel version to my collection.
I have a pretty serious Canadian nickel collection and had to add one of these as a novelty item to include in that collection.
Now I have both versions and show them here.

This info is straight from Numista

Sudbury, Ontario sits on the world's largest reserves of nickel metal, deposited by an ancient meteorite strike. In the early 1960s, an idea was conceived in order to commemorate both Sudbury's nickel production and the Canadian Centennial (fast approaching in 1967). It was decided that a "Canadian Centennial Numismatic Park" would be opened, the only Numismatic Park in the world. Giant replicas of various coins would be produced and permanently displayed in the park.

The centerpiece would be a replica of Canada's commemorative 5-cent coin from 1951, a coin commemorating the 200th anniversary of the first isolation of nickel metal - a perfect fit for this nickel-mining city. This was the famous "Big Nickel", completed in 1964. At 9 meters tall, it is perhaps the largest coin statue in the world.

The newly opened Numismatic Park also hosted smaller replicas of four other coins - a Canadian cent from 1965, an American Lincoln Memorial cent, an American Kennedy half dollar, and a commemorative Canadian $20 gold coin from 1967. Sadly, these have since been dismantled.

( and the whereabouts of all but "The Big Nickel" are unknown )
How do you lose things that large?

The Big Nickel was privately funded by Ted Szilva.
To raise money for the monument's construction, he commissioned a wide variety of special medallions to be sold to collectors across the globe. Some of these medallions depicted scenes of Sudbury, others were oversized copies of the coins he intended to build statues of.

This 5-cent medallion is one of these promotional fundraising issues.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
06/11/2018 10:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnathan55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see PCGS's reaction if the original big nickel was sent in to be graded.
Edited by Johnathan55
06/12/2018 01:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd love to see PCGS's reaction if the original big nickel was sent in to be graded.

I'd hate to have to pack it up & pay the shipping.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( My 23rd different Heraldic Art Medal )

You can't spell INDIANA without INDIAN
And the two conjoined busts on this Heraldic Art so-called half dollar were no strangers in fighting them.

( This image may update if I can improve on it in near future )
In the foreground is past president William Henry Harrison who died after 31 days becoming the 9th US President, the shortest time a US President ever served.
Before election as president, Harrison served as the first congressional delegate from the Northwest Territory and the first Governor of Indiana Territory. He gained national fame for leading U.S. forces against Native Americans at the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811, where he earned the nickname "Old Tippecanoe".
He was promoted to major general in the subsequent War of 1812, and served in the Battle of the Thames the following year. This battle resulted in the death of Tecumseh and the dissolution of the Native American coalition which Tecumseh had led.
Battle of Tippecanoe

Behind him is George Rogers Clark
George Rogers Clark was an American surveyor, soldier, and militia officer from Virginia who became the highest ranking American military officer on the northwestern frontier during the American Revolutionary War. He was the second of 10 children of John and Ann Rogers Clark, who were Anglicans of English and Scots ancestry.
Five of their six sons became officers during the American Revolutionary War. Their youngest son William was too young to fight in the war, but he later became famous as a leader of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
George Rogers Clark served as leader of the militia in Kentucky (then part of Virginia) throughout much of the war. He is best known for his celebrated captures of Kaskaskia in 1778 and in 1779 Clark led a small force across a harsh, wintry terrain & took Vincennes.
His men covered 180 miles in 18 days, often without food, and marching through icy water. This attack was the high point of Clark's career during the Illinois Campaign, which greatly weakened British influence in the Northwest Territory.
Clark takes Vincennes

Clark's major military achievements occurred before his thirtieth birthday.
Afterwards, he led militia in the opening engagements of the Northwest Indian War but was accused of being drunk on duty. He was disgraced and forced to resign, despite his demand for a formal investigation into the accusations.
He left Kentucky to live on the Indiana frontier but was never fully reimbursed by Virginia for his wartime expenditures. He spent the final decades of his life evading creditors and living in increasing poverty and obscurity.
In later life Clark continued to struggle with alcohol abuse, a problem which had plagued him on-and-off for many years. He also remained bitter about his treatment and neglect by Virginia, and blamed it for his financial misfortune. Died an invalid, an amputee and suffered from strokes.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
84321 Posts
Valued Member
New Zealand
417 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain, George V, British War Medal for Pte. W E Wright

Silver Medal (36 mm / 29,09 g), hanger removed,
Obv.: GEORGIVS V BRITT: OMN: REX ET IND: IMP: , (Georgius V Britanniarum Omnium; Rex Et Indiae; Imperator - "George 5th of all the Britons (British people); King of India; Emperor") , head of King George V. facing left.
Rev.: 1914 - 1918 , man riding on a rearing horse. The man shown is Saint George, the patron saint of England. He is shown naked, and is holding a short sword. This was supposed to symbolise the mental and physical strength that was needed to win the First World War. The horse is trampling a shield that showns the emblem of Prussia and the Axis Powers, which were the enemies the British and other Allies were fighting during World War One (the First World War). The horse is also trampling on a skull and cross-bones, and the rising sun, known as the Victory Sun can be seen by St. George's head.
Edge: PTE W.E.Wright SRD S H

The British War Medal was a medal given to people who had fought in the First World War. The medal was originally meant to be for people who had fought in the war between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918, but this was later changed to the years between 1914 and 1920. This was because a lot of people still lost their lives in the armed forces even after the war had ended, because they were clearing landmines or mines at sea.
The British War Medal (often shortened to BWM) was awarded to both officers and men of the Royal Marines, Royal Navy, the Army and also the Dominion and Colonial Forces. The Dominion and Colonial Forces were the armed forces for the rest of the British Empire. To qualify for (be allowed to have) the medal, a member of the fighting forces had to have left his native country in any part of the British Empire whilst on military duty.
There were over six and a half million British War Medals given out. Most of them are made of silver, but some rarer ones are made of bronze instead. They are all circular, and have different designs on each side.

Information gleaned from worldofcoins forum
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/in...topic=7178.0
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww...m#brwarmedal
Edited by Bas S Warwick
06/13/2018 6:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great write up on the BWM Bas. I immediately went out looking for one for myself.

Late Edit:

I did find a nice one and also found that ribbons are available. How they were clasped and pinned seems to have been done in various ways. I'll just store these together and won't do any sewing.

I Found that acronyms for WWI British army can be looked up. Your fellow was a Private ( Pte ).
I don't know who will be on the edge of my medal and will update.
No need for me to write anything else, since you did a great job on the previous post.

Bas, if it is OK with you, I would appreciate if I can copy your info you posted for the description in my "Better than Bullion" album where images of this will be residing. I certainly couldn't put it any better. Thanks for kicking me in this direction.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
06/13/2018 12:42 pm
Learn More...
United States
84321 Posts
Valued Member
New Zealand
417 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG
I cant take the credit for that write up, I copied it from someone else who may have copied from somewhere else.

Interested to know how you get on with your purchase
BSW

Additional information - on the rim

PTE W.E.Wright SRD S H
Edited by Bas S Warwick
06/13/2018 6:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bas, PM received, I got a ribbon coming from Australia. I'll automatically post the edge of mine later. It will replace this one that I show today 6/13.
For now I have an image but I can't make much of it.

Looks like 95188 PNR J. SNEDICAL or something so far.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
06/13/2018 8:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8621 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Battle of Manila Bay
1948 c.smith Admiral George Dewey 50th Anniversary So-Called Half Dollar

Just a few days ago I posted a couple other Dewey medals here
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=47#2736455

but I bought this one to go with my 1948 c.smith so called half dollars set. There are 8 1947 so-called half dollars which I have put together 2 complete sets and then there are four for 1948 which surround the theme of the 50th anniversary of the Spanish American War of which I have 3.

These are much more difficult to find. I had my eye on all four but could not justify bidding any higher on the San Juan Hill/Teddy Roosevelt issue. I have a gilt Admiral Sampson issue already ( gold plated is well done ) and have no info why it is plated. I have seen others of the 1947 plated as well. I'd prefer it wasn't but I wasn't going to replace it for what it sold for. I'll get San Juan someday!

I paid pretty dearly for this one to fill in my "Remember the Maine" void.

Destruction of the Maine
1948 c.smith 50th Anniversary So-Called Half Dollar

I have a 1954 Topps non sports card I'll throw in for my usual image.
The blowing up of The Maine was indeed the beginning of the rather short and decisive US Victory in
The Spanish American War.

I am surprised to learn that the Spanish may not have anything to do with it blowing up!
Was it a big Oooops? Not really, The US wanted Cuba to be free and this occurance may have been just the spark and excuse they needed to declare war.
This may have something to do with the Monroe Doctrine and Spain overstepping their bounds.
It may have something to do with Uncle Sam flexing his muscles. I do not know?

Here is some wiki about that.

Maine is best known for her loss in Havana Harbor on the evening of 15 February 1898. Sent to protect U.S. interests during the Cuban revolt against Spain, she exploded suddenly, without warning, and sank quickly, killing nearly three quarters of her crew. The cause and responsibility for her sinking remained unclear after a board of inquiry investigated. Nevertheless, popular opinion in the U.S., fanned by inflammatory articles printed in the "yellow press" by William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer, blamed Spain.
The phrase, "Remember the Maine! To heck with Spain!", became a rallying cry for action,
which came with the Spanish-American War later that year.

While the sinking of Maine was not a direct cause for action, it served as a catalyst, accelerating the approach to a diplomatic impasse between the U.S. and Spain.

The cause of Maine's sinking remains a subject of speculation. In 1898, an investigation of the explosion was carried out by a naval board appointed under the McKinley Administration. The consensus of the board was that Maine was destroyed by an external explosion from a mine. However, the validity of this investigation has been challenged. George W. Melville, a chief engineer in the Navy, proposed that a more likely cause for the sinking was from a magazine explosion within the vessel. The Navy's leading ordnance expert, Philip R. Alger, took this theory further by suggesting that the magazines were ignited by a spontaneous fire in a coal bunker.

The coal used in Maine was bituminous coal, which is known for releasing firedamp, a gas that is prone to spontaneous explosions. There is stronger evidence that the explosion of Maine was caused by an internal coal fire which ignited the magazines. This was a likely cause of the explosion, rather than the initial hypothesis of a mine. The ship lay at the bottom of the harbor until 1911. A cofferdam was then built around the wreck.
The hull was patched up until the ship was afloat, then towed to sea and sunk. The Maine now lies on the sea-bed 3,600 feet below the surface.

My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
84321 Posts
Page: of 188 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05